WebP format support

Recently at my workplace we have switched to WebP format for image files and I'd like to ask GPSoftware to add WebP support in Opus (conversion with lossy & lossless modes and preview/thumbnails).

While obscure in the recent past, WebP is now relevant format which is gaining momentum on the web and in the game development industry, so it makes sense for Opus to begin to support it.

1 Like

We may look at it for a future version, but there's also a plugin API that makes it very simple to add new bitmap formats (assuming they are not animated), should anyone want to tackle it sooner.

Just to resurrect this a little, supporting WebP in DO12 (conversion operations and thumbnails) would surely make my company consider upgrading bunch of their DO11 licenses to DO12 (and maybe purchasing some extra licenses) :wink:

I think I agree with this feature request. Over the past few months, I have started to encounter this format more and more often. It's also getting quite popular with a lot of sites so I think there is merit in having Opus support this format natively.

Is webP supported meanwhile, directly in DOpus 12 or indirectly? It's not even in the list here: pretentiousname.com/opus_pl ... st/#images

WebP isn't supported directly.

If components are installed which add a WebP thumbnailer and/or viewer to Explorer then they will work in Opus as well.

There's also a simple plugin API which could be used if anyone wants this enough to write a plugin.

Is there a chance for the official WebP support in the future?

It's possible.

So far only ~4 people have asked for it, and it's something which other people could do via the plugin API, so it's a lower priority for us than working on things which only we can do and which are in more demand.

quietly raises hand Now it's ~5

AAAND right after I wrote this, I realized I already raised my hand already. So back to ~4 haha.

New version of HoneyView, starting with 5.23, now includes a preview handle for WebP files as well as PSD! And thus you can now preview them in Directory Opus!

http://www.bandisoft.com/honeyview/

HoneyView is one of my top favorite image viewers and now it's even better! I personally use it a lot to read mangas in CBZ/CBR format (supports image viewing from most archive formats).

2 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation, I am checking it out right now! Perhaps it will even replace the IrfanView for me (which is starting to get long in the tooth).

We'll be adding basic WebP viewer/thumbnail support in Opus 12.7.2 beta and 12.8.

3 Likes

Thank you so much, this is significant good news for me and my colleagues!

I installed 12.8 and WEBP support is there. Awesome.
Only missing thing (at least on my Windows 10 64bit) it's the ability to access the "convert image" feature with a right click on a WEBP file.
If i right click on any other image, i get the "convert image.." entry in the menu, if i do on a webp I don't.

Is there some setting to fix this? (Tools->convert image works as expected)

Settings > File Types > File Type Groups > Images

Add WebP to the list of extensions.

3 Likes

awesom, thanks!

Oooh a "hidden" feature, thanks!

This is great!

Though it seems that websites usually keep the .jpg extension in the filename, and then the plugin doesn't work on those in Opus. Unless I rename them manually by guessing that it must be webp.

The codec itself won't load those as it checks the extension of the file passed to it. We would have to rename the file to make it work.

(And websites that serve images as the wrong extension are stupid and really should stop doing that. :))

1 Like

It works beautifly now. :slight_smile:
Thanks guys.