Which files are in only multiple collections (tagging system)

Ok that is too convoluted. I just want to overlap collections. It seems like a very easy feature to add. Just do a diff between multiple collections to see which files are in both. I want to be able to select multiple collections and have this done automatically. It would be a killer feature.

Is that label column actually a tag column?

Would it be difficult to make my idea a feature for version 13?

No it combines the label and status symbol if i understand it correctly. The tag column is part of the Metadata Pane and unrelatetd to the label system.

2023-12-21_032804

1 Like

Has version 13 had a feature freeze? Or is it still possible to add features such as this one?

You can apply multiple labels to the same file. There’s no reason to use collections for this, and they wouldn’t work as well.

How? And why wont they work as well?

Status Icons (which are a type of label) are the easiest to use for this, since they already let you assign more than one out of the box.

Normal labels can also be made to work that way, but you’d need to do some toolbar editing.

(You could also create a third type/category of label just for this, if you wanted.)

You can’t easily / efficiently search, highlight or filter files based on which collections point to them, so collections would be a worse way of doing this.

From what I have seen, searching for labels in not so easy either. Why not add the feature I mentioned so, in ONE click, the user can see which files are in both collections? This would be the best way of searching imo.

Labels seem to not be created for this purpose. The user shouldnt have to go through all that trouble. Make it simple.

From a sales perspective, this would make Directory Opus a lot more attractive to media professionals who need to sort and quickly find photos or videos based on a variety of attributes. Other apps, like Eagle, force you to "import" your images or videos into a library file in order to get tagging. This would be simple drag and drop to tag, and shift-click on collections to search for files.

Searching for labels is easy. You can do it via Tools > Find Files > Advanced.

Nothing extra needs setting up if you take my advice and use status icons (which are a type of label).

You could also use tags for this if you don’t like labels for some reason.

There are easy ways to do this already. All of them easier than using collections for this purpose, as well.

Tags? Where are tags? Tags only work on certain file types because they are metadata right?

Also I still do not see how to add multiple labels. When I try, it changes and does not add to the list of labels.

I am very frustrated by all of this. Directory Opus is powerful. But in this one crucial way it is lacking.

You can only apply one label of the 'color' type at a time. However, you can add multiple other labels of the 'status' type, like in Hardkorn's example.

There should be predefined status labels already in your right click menu. You can also add more status labels in following page:

Prefs PAGE="labels"

You have to give it a name, set the 'status' category, and pick a symbol/icon.

grafik

In the Metadata Panel.

They work on all file types, the same as labels, as long as it's an NTFS drive. (For non-NTFS, they'll only work on some types.)

See How to assign more than 1 label for a file? - #2 by Leo

But using status icons for this would be much easier, as I suggested. You don't need to change anything if you use those.

Ok now I can see how to tag and rate video and images. But now searching is not easy. Why have you not made it easy to search? I put in the tag name in the search bar and it doesnt find the files.

That's what the extended Search is for.

Searching for labels is easy. You can do it via Tools > Find Files > Advanced.

So SAD! I did this and tested it. When I search for the tags in the order I have them in the file attributes: tag1,tag2... then it shows the file after a LONG search time.

Then I tried tag2,tag1. Which is out of order of the file attribute tags and NOTHING was found. This is NOT tagging!

Am I doing something wrong?

Well, it takes quite some time, if you search across all your drives, that's true. As for the search order, i didn't test that yet. Maybe there is a trick to speed up the process, but i'm also stuck here at the moment.

Try searching for each tag individually, as a separate line in the filter.

Or using status icons for this, as I keep suggesting. I give up suggesting any more things at this point.

That was the first thing I tried because I was sure it would work. I was wrong.

Do you have a screenshot of your search mask? It works for others, so it should work for you as well.