Windows 10 Quick Access

Hi, sorry if this has already been asked, but I couldn't find it.

Is there a plan to implement Windows 10 Quick Access functionality in Dopus?

Which aspect of it do you mean?

Smart Favorites are very similar to the recent folder list and have been in Opus for many years. Favorites and the Recent folder are like the other parts.

I know that Dopus has it's own thing, but they are not system-wide. For example, if I add something in Windows 10 Quick Access I can see it in all Windows Open/Save dialogs which is very usefull for rapid work. So it would also be usefull to have that list in folder tree in Dopus. If I use only Dopus specific things, then I can't benefit from that in Open/Save dialogs (and that is often used when I open/save/import/export something etc).

So there are two solutions, either Dopus implements Windows 10 QuickAccess (like you did with Libraries), or you develop shell extension to show your favorites to shot Dopus special folders in Explorer :slight_smile:

I mean that all QuickAccess folders show in Dopus too. When I pin something to QuickAccess to be able to see it in Dopus. Also, in that case, it would be very helpfull to be able to have more than one FolderTree item automatically expanded when Dopus opens, not only My Computer.

That's just Microsoft's latest version of Favorites, which Opus already has in various forms abd ways of accessing.

They'll change it again in a few years.

Maybe, maybe not. On the other hand Dopus also has "it's version of Favorites" which is more limited than Microsoft's because it only works in Dopus. Quick Access on the other hand works in any app through standard windows dialogs.

Anyway, this is something that would be useful to much wider audience than most of Dopus features developed in last few years, so please think about it.

I suggest to write to MS that they should redesign the file-dialogues or allow to develop & install own dialogues!

The new fav-folders in Explorer are nice, because they also appear in all dialogues. But they should be independent from Explorer, as DO is not the only filemanager! I remember, that even on old Amiga there was a customizable dialogue-system. And that was around 25 years ago!

The problem is not DO, it's Windows and as Jon said, MS doesn't know what they want. Why we have now personal folders, favorites and libraries? (Why we have old control panel and settings? Why are cards shown twice in Explorer and why only cards and not also ext. harddisks etc.?). IMO the new fav-folders are a really good option, but nobody really knows, what will happen in future.

Libraries exist for almost 10 years now, Personal Folders even more. Quick Access will also last long, at least for the duration of Windows10 support. If you think otherwise then maybe it's best not to do anything at all.

I would more worry about whether Desktop apps will exist in 5 years at all, so maybe stop working od Dopus completely?

Yes, we first had personal folders (easy for viruses to find and where lots of apps writes data to, esp. to docs and pics), then libraries (which by default include the "contaminated" personal folders and no ext. app really need them) and now quick access - the first useful integration for accessing real personal folders in Explorer!

I agree, IMO instead of supporting personal folders and libs, DO should support quick access. But what's with DO-favorites and its features then? You can't save quick access within DO settings, but I often use USB-version and for Win7/8 they're not available.

For me quick access is great when working outside of DO (as I use tabs and don't need it within DO), especially in the file-dialogues.

Favorites are machine/environment specific anyway. I wouldn't mind if they are not saved within dopus configuration. In fact, while we're at it, it really bothers me that they are even saved in configuration, because I use same config at home and at work. And have different favorites at home and at work. So when I restore backup I loose my computer specific favorites and get favorites from another computer.

By showing QuickAccess in Dopus I would completely use QuickAccess and this problem would be gone. Plus, I could use these new favorites from other apps, not only Dopus... but what do I know :stuck_out_tongue:

And I have 4 DO-installations... all slightly different and of course a backup for each installation.

If you always want to use one backup but different favs (or other things like FTP-connections), simply store the appropriate file from config-folder separately and copy it back after a restore.

The problem actually is: Quick access is a new feature. I just would wait :wink:.

BTW what happened to "Links"? They're still there, but where does Win 10 make use of them?

Or, I have better idea, maybe GPSoftware can implement some user friendly feature for that too, a bit more detailed restore with more sections, like for example Visual Studio has. But I'm afraid to ask anymore, maybe there's some other principle in play there too :stuck_out_tongue:

Why is that a problem? How long do we have to wait? Sorry, but I'm developer too and I don't think like that. If something is useful and it can save me time, I grab it and use it. I will for sure use QuickAccess with or without Dopus support. Even if I end up with 2 favorites lists. It's anyway still a good feature for Dopus.

You mean symlinks/junctions? I use them now and there for practical purposes, have a command in Dopus :slight_smile:

Win 10 is out since a few days and GP surely didn't wait for qa to implement. Next is, that no one other asked for that yet. So just wait (how did you work before qa?!). As said, for me qa is also a nice feature and adding all folders is done within a few seconds, so it's not that problem.

How should that backup look like? 100 options? And which options (one needs one option, the other another)? Simply create a backup and a restore-button, which copies the 1-2 files which differs - just one line. BTW where does Win 10 offer the option to backup/restore just quick access?!

No, I meant links-folder within personal folders. I use them for the old file-dialogues.

I only see excuses, not solutions :slight_smile: Dopus didn't became what it is based on excuses :slight_smile:
Anyway I asked a simple question and got a very determined "NO" for an answer so I guess the discussion is over :slight_smile:

BTW, I see they already have it like that (Restore local state data) only not that detailed, but it's ok. You learn something every day. :wink:

[quote="Sasa"]...and now quick access - the first useful integration for accessing real personal folders in Explorer!

For me quick access is great when working outside of DO (as I use tabs and don't need it within DO), especially in the file-dialogues.[/quote]

I agree - I'm really digging Quick Access in Windows 10.

You've been able to add shortcuts to your own folders to the standard File Open/Save dialogs for many years in Windows, FWIW.

Quick Access is much better now because it's better integrated with Windows 10 shell than it was in previous versions of Windows. It's much easier to add folders to it, than it was before. You just right click on folder and click to "Pin to Quick Access". You can do it even from Dopus. That, plus the ability to use it from windows dialogs makes a pretty great combo.

Dopus Favorites have hierarchy and can be much better organized than Quick Access. But this wouldn't be the replacement of Dopus favs. Just another Desktop tree folder, like your File Collections.

Just my opinion, but I think implementing the Win 10 Quick Access functionality in DO would be beneficial. The ability to right-click a folder and say "Pin to Quick Access" is extremely useful and convenient. For example, it is very easy to temporarily add a folder that I'm using frequently but only for a week or so, and then remove it when I'm done with that project.

I realize that I have greater functionality using DO favorites. But there are applications which explicitly open Windows explorer, regardless of whether DO is configured as my default explorer. If I have created DO favorites, those will (obviously) not exist in the Windows explorer window, meaning that I have to maintain two lists of "favorites".

DO has had this functionality for years, DO implemented it first, and we have been using it (and been thankful for it) for all of those years. But now that MS has decided to implement their own version of them, why not include that in DO as well (assuming it's reasonable from a coding standpoint)? It will only make DO even more useful and valuable.

We're not sure if there is an API for this, and experience has shown that, even if there is, supporting new shell features like this is a waste of time because Microsoft remove them on a whim in the next version of Windows or the one after it. (This feature itself is only really doing what Explorer did in several other ways over the years before.)

The Quick Access bar is not suited to holding more than a handful of folders at once, so it does not seem like much effort to add the folders to Opus and Quick Access if that's what you want. (I have done just this myself, with toolbar buttons in Opus to access some of the same folders I've put in Quick Access. This also means I don't have to use the folder tree to get at the list.)

We may have another look at it and re-consider in the future, but there's much more urgent work to be done at the moment.

Try tools like Listary or Direct Folders if you want a list of unified shortcuts which work in Explorer, Opus and the standard file dialogs, and which do so in all versions of Windows and are more likely to continue to work in future versions of Windows after Microsoft change things yet again.

[Note 19/Aug: I removed a reply which just said another product is better without any information as to how or why. Feel free to ask for features, but just saying something is better with no detail will be considered spam.]

I also miss Windows 10 Quick Access in Directory Opus