Basic pdf page handling

I thought, but can't recall with any clarity, that Directory Opus had either the internal capability, perhaps as a paid addition or some form of add-on, to handle basic pdf page file handling such as extracting specific pages or combining multiple pdf file selections. If so, would you be so kind as to point me in the right direction, and if not, would you please consider? Since abandoning a long-time relationship with PaperPort i have been scrambling for substitutions to provide similar capabilities, and rather keep the number of programs down to a minimum-

Respectfully,
-Bruce

Just search in forum, only 3 letters : pdf and clic the 1st result
:yum:

Thank-you very much!

I am afraid that though i just purchased the "pro" version, i am at a bit of a loss on how to integrate both it and the button i just downloaded, into Directory Opus.

I apologize for being a bit thick; there is plain reference to "The menu button expects a "/pdftoolkit" DO alias that points to your PDF Toolkit installation folder.", but that might as well have been written in Martian for me - is there a simple tutorial on how to handle this?

Thank-you for your help!

See the FAQ for a description of how to add the button to your configuration.

The /pdftoolkit alias can be created in Preferences / Favorites and Recent / Folder Aliases.

Thank-you!

Please don't give up on me!

Got the button in fine, set up the alias as i thought was correct, but when i select a couple pdf files then click the button down-arrow and select to merge, though i get a dialog asking for the name of the new file, nothing happens in the directory in which the two original pdf files reside.

If i did all correctly to upload the image, i included an image of my link attempt.

In case i failed miserably, the link name is:
/pdftoolkit
and the folder is:
C:\Program Files (x86)\PDFtk\bin

I think the alias needs to point to C:\Program Files (x86)\PDFtk (i.e. without the \bin on the end).

I'm afraid that didn't do it either... uhg.

Go to Settings / Customize, then click the PDF Toolkit drop-down, right-click the Merge PDF command, and choose Edit.

Delete the first line from the function (it says @runmode hide). In its place, add a line that says @leavedoswindowopen.

Click OK to close the button editor and then OK to close the Customize dialog. Then try the function again. This time you should see a DOS window open (and stay open) which will let you read any error messages that may be displayed.

1 Like

Once again, Thank-you.

The error is "The system cannot find the path specified."

Where is the pdftk.exe file ?

In lister, write /pdftoolkit with your keyboard then enter. Filepdftk.exe is here or in a bin sub folder?

C:\Program Files (x86)\PDFtk\bin\pdftk.exe

Alias /pdftoolkitneed to point to C:\Program Files (x86)\PDFtk not C:\Program Files (x86)\PDFtk\bin\

Thank-you for all your efforts!

That does not seem to be the solution either as i still get the same error in the DOS window and the operation is not performed-

Can you post a screenshot of the Aliases page in Preferences?

Thanks for that! It's most likely because you've included the / at the start of the alias name. Aliases are used with a / in front of them but you need to define it without that. If you change the alias name to pdftoolkit without the / I think it should work.

(This actually is really a bug on our part - we should handle that properly).

Thank-you!!! Much better, all seems correct now-

If anyone is still out there (...), whenever i use the Merge PDF command i have no idea as to where it is saving the merged file! Most of the time i am just using the Extract command, but as i am here, i thought i would ask for any input or advice anyone can share... :slight_smile:

Thank-you!

Which Merge PDF button are we talking about?

or

(or another maybe?)