Configuration files

Hi,

we now have 2 groups of users, where each group uses a different Dopus configuration.

We began with 1 group, where each user was set for shared configurations.

Now we have 2 groups, is it best to change this to "not shared" for each user?

Is the best nethod then to "restore configuration" on a user by user basis, using the relevant backup (there's 2 configs...one for each group)?

Hope this question makes sense!

Using private (i.e. "not shared") is probably best.

Note that shared vs. private simply changes where the config files are stored on the user's machine. In private mode they'll be stored within the user's profile folder (as part of the roaming profile, if you are using one). In shared mode the config will be stored somewhere visible to all users on the machine.

(Note that shared mode doesn't do anything across machines unless you manually redirect the config folder to a network path.)

So if you want different config for different users, private mode is the way to go, definitely. Although if you only ever have one user logged on to any machine at a time then you could use shared mode if you really wanted to (by changing the logon scripts to overwrite the shared config).

Whatever you do, you can automate things by simply copying the config files to the appropriate places. There's no need to manually run the Backup & Restore wizard for each user (though if we're talking about a handful of users then that might still make sense). Info about the configuration file locations is here and here.

Thanks for that.

What I'd like to do then is to store each set of config files on the server, then manually direct each user to the correct config files.

I can't see how to set the path to the config files for the user in settings>preferences....can you tell me how please.

Thanks again (Leo?) for your excellent responses and assitance.
Greg

Opus always uses the system-defined configuration locations. (i.e. The user profile or the programdata folders.)

To divert the Opus config directory you can use an NTFS junction (or symbolic link in Vista and above) but that may not work or be a good idea if the target is a network drive.

How are you doing this with other software that you need to share profile-based settings between users? Or is Opus the first/only program you're doing this with?

Opus is the first Leo.

To keep it simple (and within my capability) , the best option I guess is to make each install not shared, and then do a restore using the desired profile...

The downside is, that as I make updates to the config then backup, the user will need to restore from that newly created backup ....right?

thnaks again, Greg

That's correct and seems like the best way to do it.

Since the main config is just files in one directory you should be able to automate updating it. (e.g. Copy the new config files to a list of network shares.)

Don't forget that some Opus settings are only read at startup so changes to the config might require a restart of Opus. (Some config file changes are noticed immediately, though.)

Hello, I would like to share my DOpus configuration with other people but I am concerned about private / sensitive data that might be in there, even if it is just file names for example.

Is there a way to make the exported file readable?

Thanks!

The config data is almost all in text format. Sharing config files isn't generally useful, though. People are unlikely to want all of your Preferences settings, especially when they have no way of knowing what will be changed by importing your config.

If you want to share something with people, you can often share the individual things of interest instead. But it depends what you want to share.

Hello,

I am aware of these two How-To posts:

But they are a) very old - not sure if things have changed or been added, and b) I am not sure which of the locations mentioned there correspond to what section of the export process (exported config file).

As to that exported config file, I might be ignorant about the tech but in notepad it is mostly random symbols....

Post Scriptum: My configuration doesn't have anything personal, it's the way I would configure it for any random Windows user who wants to move to DOpus asked me to configure it so they will get along with it well and with an easy learning curve. (I looked carefully at every single config option and read up on it if I was not 100% sure, which most people don't do (plus many years of usage). I just don't know if it will also export any personal stuff in some corner of the config data.

The exported config file is a zip file with a different extension; rename it to .zip and you'll be able to look inside it.

1 Like