Everything search via FAYT - questions about FAYT field behavior

When using an Everything search (via a Quick Key or a hotkey utilizing CLI QUICKSEARCHENGINE) - once a search result is 'found' the FAYT field goes away. Typically when searching with Everything, I type an initial string, wait for the results and if too many will add additional text to narrow the results - this doesn't work because the field goes away after the initial results are found. Sometimes if I'm thinking and typing slow, the results are shown and the FAYT field goes away before I finish my query.

Is there a way to configure the FAYT field (at least when using Everything) so that the field remains open (specifically after results are 'found') until dismissed (via the escape key)?

When using an Everything search (via a hotkey utilizing CLI QUICKSEARCHENGINE), if you make a mistake while typing or change your mind of what you want to type - if you delete all characters that you have typed the FAYT field (for Everything) goes away and is replaced by the generic Find FAYT field.

Is there a way to keep the Everything FAYT open in cases like this until specifically dismissed (via the escape key)?

1 Like

Best solution at the moment is to use the search field (usually at the top right), which can do Everything searches as well, and is always visible.

But I agree, it would be nice to be able to choose when FAYT closes in some modes. The same is true with FAYT scripts that I use a lot.

:slight_smile: I would love to use that field - it functions as desired and looks/feels cleaner to me than the FAYT field but in an effort to replace using the Everything GUI I am trying to program a system wide hotkey to pull up the lister, open a new tab (for the search results) and initiate the Everything search.

From one of my previous question threads it doesn't appear to be a way to put focus on the top right search field (equivalent of pressing F3) via the hotkey....so that is how I ended up going down the FAYT trail...

Is there a way to call an external program as part of the hotkey? I could use something like an autohotkey script to 'press' F3 for me.

1 Like

Windows Scripting has a SendKeys method which should work without requiring any external tools. There's an example here: Use Opus to hotkey typing out a key sequence - #2 by Leo

Thanks. I did get it to work with an autohotkey script but will look at your reference and try that - the less moving parts the better.

1 Like

Well, for now I'll have to stick with the AHK solution that I have working. Attempting to utilize the SendKeys method results in strange behavior on my laptop (both in v12 and v13):

• Every time it's used the 'numlock' indicator pops up on my screen (regardless of what text I send)
  • My SendKey test works from a button but I can't get it to work from a hotkey definition

I'll try again at some point but it has defeated me for now.

This is driving me nuts.

I like to use the global Everything search by pressing +
I'm finding that if I start typing and then pause for half a second the FAYT field disappears and it brings up the results based on what I had typed. Is there any way to make it wait a bit longer before searching or even prevent it from searching until I've pressed enter? I need to type my search query in super fast otherwise it starts searching before I'm done and closes the field.

I tried changing the Close Timeout, but that only seems to take effect if you open the FAYT and don't actually type a search query.

Is there really no still no solution for this? I know I can use the search field on the top right, but I'd rather keep that reserved for windows index searches as I have indexed some folders, like music and it's better to search with that as it will search tags, etc.

It's still on our list to improve. The search field can be used instead as a workaround.

2 Likes

I had the same problem, so I made this FAYT script, that might help you too. (you can also change the quick key to + if you want to).

It combines both global and local Everything search in one command. Just use one + for global, two + + for local.

2 Likes

Awesome, that's exactly what I wanted. Thanks :slight_smile: