Float separate search

Many times because I like to turn on log first then open lister then start connect to ftp site. And I really liked that docking log style. There are other logs that I use - not only FTP log, but also files log and undo log. Do I really need to open lister for that logs?

And, if FTP log can be run in float mode, then maybe is possible to add float parameter to that command? I think that Search may be related to lister, no problem - it can be useful, but Undo log or Files log? I don't really understand reason why they must be combined with lister.

@teefan: the answers to what you're asking are all pretty much buried in this thread...

All the logs and other output window stuff are part of the "Utility Panel" in v10 - and is hard docked to the bottom of a lister. You can either save a lister layout called FTPLOG with the panel page you want access to (ftp log) and then use a button/hotkey/tray icon item, etc to load it up in one click using the command I mentioned earlier (prefs layout ftplog)... or you can just toggle on the ftplog page in an existing lister using the command Leo mentioned. Those are your options.

If you want a "floating" ftplog window - then you go the route of saving a lister layout - and just save the lister not maximized so you can moe it around. Disable all extra columns to get rid of scroll bars in the file display, and shrink the file display as much as you can... and you've got a floating ftplog window, just with some extra unfortunate bits in the window along with the log (toolbars, shrunken file display).

No love lost Leo - I reverted to v9 so all is good. In my case the frustration with the Find panel was enough not to stick with v10.

Not sure what your confusion with the Panel versus Window was though.

To fix the find panel in the lister is simply --- an annoyance, to be polite.

Any good reason not to fall back to the v9 style? (2nd window)

Same as in customize dialog. Why for haven's sake do you change thing which were very well done???

Because the Find Window wasn't well done. It was a left-over from Opus 6, missing lots of features, had several bugs and got in the way of people finding the Find panel (which isn't new; it's been there for years) which has none of those problems.

If you read some of the threads about the Find window/panel since Opus 10 was released you'll find info on various different ways to use the Find panel which seem to work well for people who initially did not like the change.

I am a bit bored of repeating this explanation/information so from now on any post/thread complaining about the Find Window will probably be locked/deleted. Posts asking questions about how to use the Find panel are fine, but there is no further value in posts which boil down to "I don't like/understand the Find panel because it's not what I am used to" with no detail about what's wrong with it or evidence that the poster has read the existing information and tried to use the Find panel to give it a chance.

Nothing is set in stone but the work to re-implement a separate Find window will not be done unless people give very good reasons for it, and reasons which outweigh not only the effort of implementing it and the added testing/complexity but the fact that it will (as before) prevent people discovering the Find panel. (You might not believe it but many people prefered the Find panel to the Find window, once they were told it was there.)

(More likely is that the things people dislike about the Find panel will be improved. For example, it was pointed out that the Find window used to let you do multiple searches without worrying about the results overwriting each other. That was a valid point, and in an update it was made so you can do the same using the Find panel. If the complaints have substance, rather than just saying "I hate it" then they're more likely to result in changes.)

Maybe I was a bit grumpy yesterday... :slight_smile:

I've unlocked the thread again. Feel free to discuss the Find window/panel here if you want, but please keep it constructive. The Find window is unlikely to come back but we're open to ideas about making the Find panel work better.

I was just looking for where I could change the Find back to it's own window, guess I got my answer. I'm very sad that this has been removed, It was perfect the way it was.
If there is a vote to bring back the separate window for find, count me as one.

Why I'm not thrilled with the way it is.

• I just lost a chunk of my Lister window to the Find stuff.
  • Yes I can get it back by clicking on the double down arrow on that box, but then have to click the double up arrow at the bottom of the screen to make it show back up. It was easier to look at my second monitor which I usually had the find window on.
  • It puts the results in the Lister I'm currently using. I did see you can have the find results show up in a second file display in the Lister, but then I have to widen the Lister even more to see the file information.

These are just a few I noticed right away.

Suggestion: maybe having an option to have the results show up in a new Lister. You already have (destination, destination-tab, source, source-tab) just add New Lister to the options.

Don't get me wrong, I think Dopus is the best program I have ever paid money for. Can't say that about many of the other programs I've purchased.

Thanks,

JefferyS

[quote]If there is a vote to bring back the separate window for find, count me as one.[/quote]And the Find button is lost somewhere off to the right.

You lose a chunk of screen space, and have some extra thing you have to close later on, either way.

What are you doing that requires you to look back & forth at the lister and the separate find window, and that needs so much space in each that you need a whole monitor dedicated to both?

You can make a button/hotkey/etc. which opens a new lister with the Find window turned on, leaving your existing lister alone.

You could make the Find button/hotkey resize the window automatically if you want. Or make it open a layout that's big enough. Or click the maximize button. Or...

From what I remember, the Find window was the same width as the Find panel.

OK, i open with an extra shortcut a special Find-layout window. First i had the problem that with any further "normal" start of Do THIS window
was opened. To avoid this, you have to define a standard lister for "normal" use, and check the option "open standardlister" !
For me the problem has gone. :slight_smile:

I'm one of the people who preferred a separate window for searches, and circumvented the problem by doing exactly this. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find a way to automatically-focus the filename field in the new lister, which hinders the usability of the feature. I tried making a macro command with a new lister opening and then Find, but the Find gets executed in the old lister.

Does anyone know a way around this?

Send a feature request to GPSoftware Support (link in my sig).

In the mean time, best I can think of is having separate hotkeys to open a new window/layout and to open the find panel once in the new window.

I've been using the Directory Opus 10 trial for some weeks now and I'm still not happy with the find panel being so intrusive. The reason is threefold: 1- It takes up too much vertical area on my monitor (I have a 22" widescreen) so I always have to expand my listers whenever I do a find. 2- There is no way to anchor the find panel on the sides of a lister or to allow it's default behavior to pop out. 3- It's too busy. 90% of my searches are for bits and pieces of file names or extensions.

I won't upgrade to version 10 until a solution is found. I really like how simple Windows Explorer's search is in Windows 7. You type in a file name and your window is populated with your search results. Simple and super effective. That is mostly how I use the search panel. I think it needs to be simplified and allow user to customize it (popout or anchor to any side they want).

You can search like that in Opus 10 as well (that is, if you didn't immediately go back to your old toolbars at the horror of something having changed after 8 years).

The Find window took up just as much space.

Make a button which opens a big layout with the Find panel on, as suggested above. Use that layout like you used to use the Find window.

It's too wide to go on the side. It'd be unusable.

It's no different, in that respect, to how it was in Opus 9.

As Jon says, if you just want to search for file names or extensions, you don't need to use the find panel at all. The search field on the default toolbars (or typing = and then your search query into the lister's Find As You Type field) will do that. Just like Explorer.

I didn't know there was a search field. I added it and it's much like Windows 7. I'm very happy about that. Is there a way to make it search in a new tab?

I still think the find panel needs to have its own popout lister as an option though. It seems a lot of people want that option.

The Find window took up just as much space.

No the Find window just had the Find and the results the "new" window has all the icons and menu bars and toolbars and ......

Make a button which opens a big layout with the Find panel on, as suggested above. Use that layout like you used to use the Find window.

This still ends up with the menu and toolbars and other junk.

It's no different, in that respect, to how it was in Opus 9.

Umm again menu bar toolbar any listers you normally use. 

As Jon says, if you just want to search for file names or extensions, you don't need to use the find panel at all. The search field on the default toolbars (or typing = and then your search query into the lister's Find As You Type field) will do that. Just like Explorer.[/quote]

If I wanted to use Windows I would be using the windows set up. I WAS using DOpus and have since Amiga versions. This is a very un-appreciated work flow change.

I used to bring up a find with CTRL-F select the folders and let it go. Continue working in the listers that I had open. Now I either have to design a new "lister" for find or STOP working in the ones I have up as it messes them up with the "new" results being dumped in one or the other lister.
I bought DOpus 10 as I had appreciated the work that had been going into it. If I could get a refund of the 5 licence upgrade from 9 to 10 I would revert in a heartbeat.