Folder Tab Colors For Specific Drives

Assign color for each tabs for me...
It's just to localize tabs easily. Close tabs loose colors.
If we need to set color to folder to have tab color, we will need to unset it. And if we change folder, tab will lost color.

Well for me it's the latter:
"to reflect colours assigned to the folders they are currently showing.."

I have several folder structures which are identical on different drives and even on the same drive. Being able to locate that "bin" folder in the backup-hierarchy or to make that "tmp" folder within my mp3-sorting area pop out, would be awesome. I tend to show only the actual foldername in the tabs to safe some screen space, so any path information is invisible and i often find myself clicking several times to find *the other" tmp-folder.

Another example: I have at least three "gfx" directories in use in my day to day work:
d:\bin[b]gfx[/b] (containing installed gfx-apps)
d:\dat[b]gfx[/b] (containing gfx files (images etc.))
d:\dat\bak[b]gfx[/b] (containing backups/older versions of gfx-files)

Leo, you speak about labels ?

Yep

+1

Indeed there is: I think tab icon can tell you much more than tab color, but they can also complement each other :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote="tbone"]Well for me it's the latter:
"to reflect colours assigned to the folders they are currently showing.."

I have several folder structures which are identical on different drives and even on the same drive. Being able to locate that "bin" folder in the backup-hierarchy or to make that "tmp" folder within my mp3-sorting area pop out, would be awesome. I tend to show only the actual foldername in the tabs to safe some screen space, so any path information is invisible and i often find myself clicking several times to find *the other" tmp-folder.

Another example: I have at least three "gfx" directories in use in my day to day work:
d:\bin[b]gfx[/b] (containing installed gfx-apps)
d:\dat[b]gfx[/b] (containing gfx files (images etc.))
d:\dat\bak[b]gfx[/b] (containing backups/older versions of gfx-files)[/quote]

Mine is more in line with this, and a similar situation. I mange a SHARE folder that is selectively synced across various devices. I need to be able to tell at a glance, which SHARE folder I'm looking at. Normally I attempt to separate them between left & right, but often they get mixed up. Therefore I need some visual cue to seperate them.

For me it's like the colorfulTabs extension with domain based color setting enabled. I.e. In that mode I don't even have to select a color, it automatically colors all domains to different pastel shades, and gives the same shade to the same domain, so at a glance you can tell where you are amongst the several sites you are browsing.

I wouldn't mind assigning a different label to each SHARE folder, and thus have each descendant folder have the same color. Though the ideal as I see it ( not necessarily everyone) is as described above, i.e. automatic coloring based on relationship of all tabs to each other). haha I can imagine how this would be a pain for everyone so I am ok with just the basic idea though, as it would work out with more control.

I've found a quick workaround that helps, (a duh! moment if ever).
I realized you can asssign custom icons to your folders and that they show up in the tab bar correctly. Thus to differentiate em, you can assign custom icons with different colors.
you can use some apps, or the properties panel of the folder.
folderico.com/download.html
thewindowsclub.com/color-cus ... ws-folders

HTH while we wait. it works for a small set of folders.

I'm trying to change the color of specific tabs to access quicker.

(E.G)
Volume E: Tab Colors = Green
Volume F: Tab Colors = Purple

I have come across this thread. Will this be implement anytime soon?

Thanks

Maybe in v12? I still hope it's gonna make it one day.. o)

I came in here all excited that it's working! But I see it was just a post bump :slight_smile:.
Anyway I remember seeing a changelog item saying that labels are now correctly reflected in tabs, so use that :slight_smile: Or you can still use my color folder icon idea.
Does anyone know where that colored file listing is? you know all executables red, text blue ....etc.

What does that mean? Is there another way to customize a tabs appearance than setting a foldericon with some external tool?
Did I miss something?

see gpsoft.com.au/help/opus11/in ... abels1.htm

or this Set File & Folder Colors/Labels via Context Menu

Thanks, but that does not work here. o) Is there anything else to configure? As you see, my foldericons are blue, but tab-icons showing one of these folders are not colored.

Attachment was missing:

Hmm... no idea then, maybe i was mistaken in my recall.

btw where can i download the colored listing config?

@all
Can anybody confirm that icons of tabs can be colored? That would make life a bit easier already.

@vijay
What you see in my screenie is just a handful of wildcard labels for *.exe, *.zip etc., nothing you cannot setup within a minute or two yourself.
But I don't know exactly what you meant with "colored listing config" actually. o)

I just cannot get label-colored folder icons to show in the tab, so I guess it doesn't work, which is a pity! o)

I actually forgot about the possibility to color specific file and folder icons. Making them pop that way comes without the hassle of choosing new icons for every single item, which is cool! o) Unfortunately, the color is not pulled through to a tab icon, a specificly set folder icon though, does appear in the tab, so it's kind of hard to understand why it doesn't work. o)

It probably has to do with the routines being called for rendering the icons. Using the system default call would support all of the systems regular features (i.e. custom icons) whereas the file display calls dopus' internal rendering routines, which probably uses the system call and overlays/processes it according to dopus preferences.

From that point of view, yes. Looking at it from a higher perspective, no. o)