Grouped Flat View DEPTH limit switch

Grouped Flat View is a killer feature and the only thing holding it back is the inability to limit scan/display depth.

Sometimes you need to flatten only until the n-th subfolder to get a proper view of things and instead we get the entire subdir tree which in many cases clutters the view immensely and also slows down the "flattening" process until it reads all the stuff. Finally it expands the relative location field unnecessary.

Try that on C:\Windows and see what happens and how long it needs to finish building it. Granted that is an extreme case and noone would do it but in many cases we have complex directory nesting and any help navigating that nightmare is extremely appreciated. That's why we use dopus after all.

Adding a DEPTH/K switch that would hide all results from folders past the N-th level would do the trick flawlessly.

• 0 would be unlimited.
  • 1 would be only the top level files / dirs and so on

Benefits from this will be:

• An order of magnitude faster on folders with many levels of subfolders and many files under those.
  • A clean view of the things we actually need to see without the need for complex filtering.

This has been asked 10 years ago so I think a reminder is in order.
P.S. Using find is not helpful as it makes a collection while Flat View does not.

4 Likes

@Leo, sorry to bother you. I just think this is a very useful feature and hope DOpus will support it in the future. :grin:

Is something like this of interest, Set FLATVIEW?

Best way, currently, is at the bottom of How to filter items by location or sub-folder ("Restricting the search depth").

We're considering some ways to make doing something similar a lot easier, but not sure exactly what shape or timeframe they'll take yet.

1 Like

This command still cannot set the depth :laughing:

1 Like

Thanks, looking forward to it. :yum:

Yes,
I know that doesn't work if there are folders that contain folders but no immediate files.
The filter continues down until a file is found.
It then goes back up until normal search depth is achieved.
https://resource.dopus.com/t/print-flatview-folder-depth/42673

Be patient, Directory Opus will solve this eventually.
What it does is still wonderful and a huge help.

I also put it on the back burner after my thread on it.
It is a matter of ideas and then the time. :frowning:

1 Like