Image Viewer: "Next" & "Previous" Buttons Not Working

Ever since upgrading to Vista, I rarely (if ever?) am able to use the "Previous" and "Next" buttons to move through images in a directory using the Opus Image Viewer. Both buttons stayed grayed-out all the time.

I say "if ever" because I can't remember the last time I was able to use these buttons; I'm 98% certain they've never worked on Vista — but that's not quite 100%.

I'm aware Opus can't populate the list for these buttons when an image is opened from outside of Opus (see here), but I'm opening images by double-clicking on them from the file list within Opus.

I'm also unable to move through images in the Viewer with the mouse wheel.

My Opus version is 9.1.1.5. I'm deliberately sticking with an older release because of a known issue, but I've checked the Image Viewer behavior in 9.1.3.0 when I had it installed and experienced the same thing there.

I don't recall ever having this problem on XP, and it's been only a minor annoyance on Vista, but I'm curious if it's a known issue or if there might be something I'm overlooking.

These are my Standalone Viewer Settings from Preferences:

[/i]

If anyone can shed any light, I'd be eternally grateful. I've fallen into the habit of using the preview window to look through images in Opus, but I'd love to restore the ability to use the Image Viewer at full capacity. :slight_smile:

I should also mention that I've read this thread, and these are my File Operations settings for double-clicking:

What kind of images are they? If you haven't already, try it in a folder which only contains a few JPEGs, BMPs or PNGs.

It may also be worth checking your Images file type group, and the file type for whichever image type you're double-clicking in your test (e.g. the JPEG type). See if they override the Left Double-Click event. Do that via Settings -> File Types.

So far, I've been trying it in folders that contain a mix of image types and subfolders.

Just now, I created a folder with four JPGs and tried it there, with the same results. I.e. "previous" and "next" buttons are grayed out, and mouse-wheel scrolling doesn't work. (screenshot: http://directoryopus.secret-hq.com/forum/images/testImageFolder.png)

The Left Double-Click event was undefined for the Images File Type group, so I set it to:

"C:\Program Files\Directory Opus\d8viewer.exe" "%1"

... which is the assigned Left Double-Click behavior for my individual known Image Types (JPG, PNG, BMP, GIF, TIF, and maybe a couple of others).

I also defined a context menu event called "Open" (which didn't previously exist for the Images File Type Group) and gave it the same command shown above.

So far, no changes in behavior — but I'll try again after a system restart.

Delete the Open action and Left Double-Click events again. They should be undefined. If you launch the viewer via d8viewer.exe then it'll be like it was launched from outside of Opus.

I can't see any reason why the next/prev wouldn't work on the files/folders in your screenshot with the filetypes back to normal. I guess it's possible something was broken back in 9.1.1.5 but I don't remember anything related to this changing since then. I'm at a loss, sorry.

Maybe that's my problem, since both Open and Left Double-Click are defined with that same command in the individual File Types definitions:

"C:\Program Files\Directory Opus\d8viewer.exe" "%1"

How should I be calling the Image Viewer? Is there an alternate method the command line?

The left double-click event should be deleted, and the option in Preferences to handle images on double-click should be turned on.

I deleted the value for Left Double-Click and lost the ability to open images on double-click entirely.

Where in Preferences could I find the option to handle images on double-click? I've scoured the Preferences, and File Operations » Double-click on Files » User internal picture viewer for: is the closest thing I've been able to find. (That's currently set to "all recognized pictures.") Is there somewhere else I should be looking?

And thanks for taking so much time with suggestions, Leo. As always, it's very much appreciated. :smiley:

You've got the right Preferences option and it's set correctly for what you want.

Something I hadn't noticed until now is that Recognized images file-type, in the Directory Opus File Types section at the top of the File Types list, must have its Left Double-Click event set to show.

It should be that way by default but if you've been trying different things maybe it's been changes.

(I've not looked in detail but I suspect the "Use internal picture viewer for..." option in Preferences just determines which things are considered part of the special "Recognized images" file type.)

Note: I'm not talking about the Images file type group (but if things still don't work, check the Images file type group in case it is overriding the event).

So long as your double-click is triggering the show command, one way or another, you should get the next/prev list. It doesn't have to happen by any particular file type / group, but what I've described above should work and will also get things back to normal.

Thanks for all your help, Leo! Took long enough, but I finally managed to get it working again.

The Left Double-Click value for Recognized Images was set to show.

For the main Images File Type Group, Left Double-Click was undefined, so I set it to show, as well. (Still no change.)

Finally, it occurred to me to open the various image File Type Groups (JPEG, GIF, PNG, etc.) and manually set the Left Double-Click values for each of them to show. Voila — that seems to have done the trick! :sunglasses:

Thanks for coming to the rescue yet again!

That isn't normally needed but I'm glad you found a solution!

Old thread, but this happened to me too, even though I download the latest versions. Thanks for the fix/workaround.

Going through some old quirk/bug Post-Its and thought I'd add this one to this earlier thread:

For some reason, double-clicking on a PNG file from my desktop will launch Adobe Fireworks. D9Viewer is the default handler for PNGs (just like all other images) in Windows (still running Vista), and all the File Types settings for PNGs in Opus are identical to JPGs and GIFs, which always launch directly into the viewer when I click on them from the desktop.

PNGs launch into the viewer with no problem when I double-click on them in an Opus lister. It's only when I click from the desktop that I get the peculiar behavior. Weirder still: If I right-click a PNG, select "Open with..." from the context menu, and select D9Viewer, the PNG file will still be sent to Fireworks!

Not a major issue, but it's been a minor inconvenience for as long as I can remember.

Anyone else encountered any similar behaviors?

If it affects the desktop then it's something going on outside of Opus. It is odd if using Open With doesn't fix it as that usually overrides everything else.

You could try using my FileTypeDiag tool to dump the .PNG registry settings on two different machines and see if there's an obvious difference (or post the file here and see if me or anyone else can spot what's up).

The way file type association works in Windows is a complete mess, TBH, so it might not be obvious, but maybe it'll be easy to spot. (Every version of Windows, Microsoft seem to add yet another way to override the existing behaviour and yet another set of registry values that need to be checked/understood, and in the right order with all the others.)

Ooohhh — that's one cool piece of freeware, Leo!

Er — it would be cooler, of course, if all those registry entries didn't send me fleeing in terror. I've thought about backing up the registry and going through deleting all the keys where "PNG" and "Fireworks" appear together, but somehow I don't think taking the shotgun to the forest is the best way to chop down this tree.

It's not a major setback for me, and I'd hate to waste too much of a good Samaritan's time — but if anyone comes along and feels like taking a look, I posted my FileTypeDiag report on .PNGs here:

http://directoryopus.secret-hq.com/forum/files/png.txt

[quote="Secret-HQ"]Ooohhh — that's one cool piece of freeware, Leo!

Er — it would be cooler, of course, if all those registry entries didn't send me fleeing in terror. I've thought about backing up the registry and going through deleting all the keys where "PNG" and "Fireworks" appear together, but somehow I don't think taking the shotgun to the forest is the best way to chop down this tree.

It's not a major setback for me, and I'd hate to waste too much of a good Samaritan's time — but if anyone comes along and feels like taking a look, I posted my FileTypeDiag report on .PNGs here:

http://directoryopus.secret-hq.com/forum/files/png.txt[/quote]

This should fix it:

[ul][li]Open RegEdit.exe

[/li]
[li]go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Fireworks.Doc\shell\Open\command in the tree on the left

[/li]
[li]In the main area on the right, there should be a second thing called command with type REG_MULTI_SZ and data that looks like gibberish: "p_iQPWPIi=7*o5OIH$O1InstallDir_Feature>JaOsXbmcPAqf){jsGGqF "%1""

-- If you see that, right-click it and delete it (only on the right-hand side; do NOT delete the "command" item in the tree on the left).[/li][/ul]

Leo, you're brilliant! That fixes my long-standing .PNG problem like a charm.

:smiley: