Metadata & Movie Properties

Please;

My Directory Opus is not showing the metadata related to the videos! Type: AVI, WMV, MP4, MKV, etc. ...

Before it worked, but I had to reinstall the operating system ... now is no longer functional.

When I type F9 to display the metadata pane, aprece only "non-editable properties", "extended properties" and "Standard Properties". Where is the "Movie Properties"?

Something you've installed (VLC maybe?) has probably removed the PerceivedType=Video value from the video filetypes in the registry. (Although newer versions of Opus shouldn't need them anymore for well-known filetypes in the metadata panel.)

Yes, I installed VLC. But what now? How should I proceed to the metadata pane of Opus working again with TAG `s video files?

Which version of Opus are you using? Try updating to the latest beta version (link in my signature) first.

If you still have problems with the latest beta, you will need to use RegEdit to repair the registry settings which VLC broke, by going to each of the extensions you care about under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and adding PerceivedType (REG_SZ) = "video", as in my screenshot above.

My Directory Opus is:

Directory Opus Pro 10.2.0.0 (4645) x64
OS 6.1 (B: 7601 P: 2 T: 1) SP 1.0 "Service Pack 1"

I will prefer to fix the error through the registry repair. Could make a step-by-step on how to proceed in fixing? I am a layman in the question windows registry.

Thank you.

Run regedit.exe from Start->Run, locate the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT branch and expand it. As shown in Leo's screenshot, select each individual filetype you want to fix, and in the right-hand panel, right-click and choose New -> String Value. Set the name of the value to PerceivedType, then double-click it to edit its value, and set the value to video.

Or grab the latest beta version, as it has proven stable and downloading & installing it will be much quicker & easier than editing the registry if you're not familiar with registry editing. (The change was made in Opus 10.2.0.1 to make Opus resilient to the wrong data being in the registry for common file types like MP4.)

The problem was solved! Thank you!!
What did I do? I upgraded to version:

Directory Opus Pro 10.2.0.8 (4766) x64
OS 6.1 (B: 7601 P: 2 T: 1) SP 1.0 "Service Pack 1"

It does not work for me - Movie Properties do not show up in the Metadata Pane for .mp4 and .mkv files.
I just checked my registry and .mp4 already had PerceivedType=video, for the .mkv I added it myself. Either way - like I said, Metadata Pane does not show Movie Properties , only Standard and Extended.

Help, please. I need it desperately. VLC displays "Title" metadata and many of the files have titles set to some crap which is incorrect.

Windows Pro x64
Directory Opus Pro 10.5.1.0 (4848) x64
OS 6.1 (B:7601 P:2 T:1) SP 1.0 "Service Pack 1"

Opus doesn't support those formats for metadata editing yet, unfortunately.

(There is some support for showing their metadata in columns in the file display, but not in the panel for editing metadata.)

@jon, thanks for the answer.

Any idea, when/if its gonna be supported?
Or any idea how should I go about solving this problem?

DO 11 and Windows 8.1 not showing metadata for any video type. I realize Info tips with mediainfo is not related, but that is working. Images are working with metadata. Perceived type is set to video in the registry.

For the file assoc problem, don't know.
For the metadata problem, since you want mkv and other unsupported types anyway, I'd

Download Mediainfo

Then make a command with a shortcut to
"C:\Program Files\MediaInfo\MediaInfo.exe" {allfilepath}

Or grab the command from the Prefs/Shortcut Repository/Open With menu of my toolbar.

I did not put DO 11 at the beginning since I hadn't test with DP 10.

I still have this problem (MKV not showing data in columns) even though I've checked the registry key is there.

Which columns?

Which version of Windows? (Only Windows 10 has built-in MKV support. Others will need an MKV demuxer to be installed.)

Does similar information work in Explorer, or is there a problem with both Explorer and Opus?

The columns in DO that I would want but don't work are these:
There might be more that don't work.

I have Windows 10 Pro 64 bit and in Explorer, the only relevant column I was able to find was Duration, which does work. Other ones like pixel dimensions I couldn't find in explorer.

FOURCC, Data Rate, and Bitrate columns' metadata do not display for mkv files in Windows 10 using Directory Opus 12.7.3. These worked fine about six months ago and I'd appreciate a solution to ensure they can work again now, thanks.

ALL previously-given advice in this topic thread has been followed regarding ensuring HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and adding PerceivedType (REG_SZ) = “video”, etc., but no change, frustratingly.

I'd like to 2nd .mkv support. Not being able to edit .mkv metadata is a pain.

Using 12.7.4, DOpus does better than Windows 10 (Pro x64):

Same nine MKV video files, DOpus can get the dimensions and a legible FOURCC, Windows can't.

The videos that don't show a Bit Rate in DOpus, show as 0kbps in Windows - same files give the same result on three other reasonably standard Windows 10 (Pro x86) installs.

MKV Framerate is also displayed in DOpus OK.

I have no extra splitters/codecs installed other than MagicYUV, Lagarith, (both lossless codecs), and proDAD (effects in an NLE).