New Docs/ActiveX plugin

Mr Speed and DavidP:

I've sent you private messages with a debug version.

Let me know how you get on via private message. (Just mentioning it here in case you don't notice the messages as it's easy to overlook the "1 new item" message.)

Answered :slight_smile:

Ditto :slight_smile:

one small question, but first one good thing: the preview is now showing PDFs through Foxitreader, which it did not before.

The only problem is, when trying to preview .avi, there is no video, only audio. How can this be fiexed? & is there any way to use VLC (which is my regular video program) instead of Mediaplayer?

Interesting. Does FoxIt install an ActiveX control that works in IE? If so then that probably saves us having to write a specific FoxIt plugin for Opus, which is good!

Does the same thing happen with the Movie plugin?

Do you get sound if you play the same file in WMP itself?

If not then you may simply need to install a decoder for the audio format used by that particular AVI.

(If only VLC plays audio for that file then it doesn't indicate much. VLC has decoders built into it.)

As far as I know VLC does not package itself as an ActiveX control. I think it has some kind of API to allow it to be used in other programs but I have not looked at it in enough detail to know whether it could work inside of Opus. If it is a possibility it would probably require a separate plugin to be written.

[quote="abr"]one small question, but first one good thing: the preview is now showing PDFs through Foxitreader, which it did not before.
Interesting. Does FoxIt install an ActiveX control that works in IE?
[/quote]

Well, it looks like it does, i just checked it (PDFs will be opened inside IE using FoxIt Reader). I must say, that i previously didn´t check this out in IE, because i use Opera (or before that Firefox).

I use some version of FoxIt Reader, which is portable btw (normally it´s an installable version) & i also changed the .pdf file type to Foxitreader. Nevertheless, it did not work inside Dopus until now (i asked in resource.dopus.com/viewtopic.php ... ight=foxit about this)

[quote]The only problem is, when trying to preview .avi, there is no video, only audio. How can this be fiexed?
Does the same thing happen with the Movie plugin?

Do you get sound if you play the same file in WMP itself?[/quote]

Well, yeah, regarding Dopus preview, the sound is not the problem, there´s no video. In WMP there is video, but in some cases no audio. So this is definitely a codec issue.

Hmm, no, i rather don´t want to mess around with video codecs anymore, since VLC does a very nice job. Previewing videos in Dopus would be more a "nice to have", but it´s not that necessary.
Besides that, the dilemma already shows in Mediaplayer, which is playing some videos correctly & some not.

That reminds me of the days of various codec packs, which made some videos work, while breaking other ones. :slight_smile:

Since i guess VLC is quite popular, this sounds like a good idea.

A 64-bit version of the ActiveX plugin has been posted.

Here is the installer:
setup_dopus9_64bit_plugins_2008-02-24.exe

Here are the DLLs in a zip file if you want/need to install them by hand:
dopus9_64bit_plugins_2008-02-24.zip

The plugin currently comes packaged with some other recently-converted 64-bit plugins.

32-bit users: Nothing new for you today. Do not download the 64-bit installer/zip as it won't work on your system.

Request:

• add possibility to lock view. For example, I preview excel file in standalone viewer, I lock viewer, and now I can browse and select other file without preview it.
  • add possibility to preview excel/word file... even if it is open in excel/word…

Something like that would be better added to Opus (for all file types) than one particular plugin, I think.

I'll look into why that doesn't work. Seems like if the file is locked by another program then Opus won't try to view it and doesn't call my plugin at all.

Version 3.1.0.0 has been posted. Please test!

32-bit: Installer or Zip

64-bit: Installer or Zip

Changes in v3.1.0.0 (10/Mar/2008):
[ul][li]Fixed USB export. However, until the next Opus update after 9.1.0.3, you have to manually copy docsvw32.exe (also docsvw64.exe & docsf64.ocx for 64-bit) to the Viewers folder on the USB drive after doing the export. The plugin needs two (four on 64-bit) additional files but Opus currently only exports the first one in the list.[/li]
[li]The 64-bit plugin can now use 32-bit ActiveX controls. This means 64-bit users can view PDF and Flash files and use 32-bit Windows Media Player codecs.[/li]
[li]The 64-bit plugin's configuration dialog allows you assign extensions to 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Internet Explorer and Generic ActiveX controls. The default configuration assigns everything to 32-bit as many controls do not yet have 64-bit versions and this is what the OS itself does with IE and WMP.[/li]
[li]64-bit Users Please Note: You should disable or delete the separate PDF-ActiveX plugin (pdfactivex.dll), otherwise it will handle PDF files before the ActiveX plugin gets a chance, resulting in Adobe Reader opening in a separate window. I'll suggest to GPSoftware that PDF-ActiveX be dropped from 64-bit releases.[/li]
[li]The plugin now runs all of its viewers in separate processes in order to isolate Opus itself from crashes.[/li]
[li]Windows Media Player crashes after full-screen mode seem to be fixed as a result of the process isolation.[/li]
[li]Moved text into StringTable resource to allow for localisation.[/li]
[li]Configuration dialog uses system Message Box font. (e.g. Segoe UI 9 on Vista.)[/li]
[li]Default configuration changes:[ul][li]Added .zip to default Internet Explorer extensions. Shows you the contents of the selected zip file.[/li]
[li]Disabled Microsoft XPS Rich preview handler by default as the Internet Explorer plugin is better overall.[/li]
[li]Disabled Windows Media Player preview handler by default as the Generic ActiveX control is generally better.[/li]
[li]Disabled Windows Mail HTML preview handler by default as using Internet Explorer gives fuller results (e.g. images).[/li][/ul][/li][/ul]

Thanks Nudel for this new release...

I love the fact that zip file can be display in viewer. But when zip contain folder, when i double clic to it, a windows explorer window open :smiling_imp:

And do you know how remember the display (List/details/thumbs...) when i display zip files :question:

Dunno. I just pass the Zip file to IE. :slight_smile:

Great work nudel! I'll start stress testing this baby tomorrow :stuck_out_tongue:

/Anakha

Hi,
I have been so happy that finally a 64 bit version arrived - however it doesn´t show up/work at all within my opus - could it be because I use the german version ?

best regards
Lothar

See if there's another docs.dll within the deutsch folder on the right of your screenshot. If there is, exit Opus, delete the DLL, then start Opus again.

The problem will be taken care of when the plugin becomes part of the proper Opus installer and myself & GPSoftware have been discussing a way to avoid the problem with future plugin updates.

works fine now - thanks a lot.

Best regards
Lothar

P.S - basically, though it hasn´t been demanded (I closed everything as recomended to avoid restart) it has been only a restart that was missing, I did after my rendering had been finished :blush:
The only dll within the "Deutsch" folder was a movie.dll I deleted to avoid conflics withe the movie.dll outside.

Leo,
When I tried to install the plugin on my Vista 64 box I got the message:
"Directory opus is not properly installed on your machine.%n%nYou must install or reinstal Opus before atempting to install this plugin"

Reindtalling OPus did not help. Any ideas?

Best regards, Toller

That message means that the installer could not look-up the Opus directory in the registry.

You can either manually add the registry setting or install the plug-in by hand. Fixing the registry is a bit more effort but might save time in the future. I'll describe both things and leave it up to you to decide which to do depending on your familiarity with registry editing:

[ul][li]Registry setting:

Open RegEdit.exe and navigate to here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths

If there isn't already, create a DOpus.exe sub-key.

Within that key should be two REG_SZ values. The default (nameless) value should be:

C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\DOpus.exe

There should also be a Path value set to:

C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus

(Of course, modify those if you've installed Opus somewhere else.)

[/li]
[li]Alternatively, install the plugin by hand:

Grab the zip of the plugin, instead of the .exe installer, extract it somewhere.

Exit Opus. (See here.)

Using Explorer (or something other than Opus), copy the files you extracted into your Viewers directory. The directory will usually be here:

C:\Program Files\GPSoftware\Directory Opus\Viewers

Restart Opus.
[/li][/ul]

Leo,

Thank you for your prompt reply. Changing the registry did not help. I reeceived exactly the same message. Do you check only this value in the registry in your plugin?
Manual install from zip file works fine.
Best regards, Toller

The plugin itself doesn't use the registry at all (except to import the old version's configuration, but if that fails it will ignore it and carry on).

The only thing that depends on the registry and which could put up the message you're seeing is the installer itself. I had a look at the installer to refresh my memory and it will show that message if:

a) It can't read the Path value under ...\App Paths\DOpus.exe.

or

b) It can't get the version information from dopus.exe within the path the registry points to. (You can check that by opening Properties on the exe and making sure some version numbers show up. Would be weird if they didn't, though.)

or

c) The registry points to an invalid path (but that should trigger (b) first).

I can't think of or see any other things that could result in the error message. Maybe if the installer is run in some kind of compatibility mode it might go wrong, but it shouldn't do that by default. (The x64 version of the installer is a 32-bit executable, but it's written in a way that it can install 64-bit programs and registry settings, and I've tested it on my own x64 machine. That said, I've only tested it using an Administrator account. UAC was enabled, of course, but sometimes there are slight differences between Admin confirmations and "over the shoulder" elevations, so if you're not using an Admin account let me know and I'll test that.)

Running Process Monitor may reveal which operation the installer is attempting that fails, if you feel like investigating. If not don't worry too much as you can always install the plugins by hand, and they will also be included in the next Opus update.