New filename, visually truncated

Hi,

Prior to v10 I somehow configured DOpus to show a file's full name when in "List" view mode when a file is created (and renamed?). Now, after installing v10, I instead see a truncated filename with Ellipses trailing it. I searched every option but I still can't seem to get the behavior back to what it was before I installed v10.

The first screenshot below shows what's occurring in "List" view mode when I create a file with a longer filename. I want new files to be fully shown instead of shown with trailing ellipses. This has something to do with the column width of "details" mode but I can't remember what I did to get the behavior I desire. When I switch to "details" mode then back to "view" mode a file's ellipses will go away and the full filename will be displayed, as shown in the 2nd screen shot.

Do not want to see when creating new files/dirs/ranaming:

Want to see when creating new files. This looks occurs when going from "List" view mode to "Details" and back to "List" view mode.

What happens if you refresh (F5) after creating the file?

Nothing changes. The newly created filename loses it's ellipses when I switch from List to Details and back to List again.

Check, sometimes F5 replaces the ellipses with the full filename, but not always.

Does this happen to anyone else, and does anyone know a way to make it so it doesn't happen? :frowning:

When I create a new file with a longer name than the others, its name is truncated in list mode at first, but when I push F5 the columns resize to show the whole file.

(I think that makes sense. In List mode if the columns resize by themselves then it can cause the file list to to move around considerably, which seems like it would be disorientating.)

I don't know why refreshing (F5) isn't causing the resize for you, though. (Assuming F5 is still bound to the refresh menu item. Some people delete the menu item or the menu containing it, which also deletes the hotkey tied to the item. In that case F5 wouldn't do anything at all.)

Also, make sure you have Auto-size columns turned on in Folder Options (screenshot below), although I think if that was off then changing display modes wouldn't cause a resize either (unless you're changing modes, resizing the column, then changing back to List mode).

Hi, Thanks.

How do you get to that options dialog? :<

It's in the Folder Options menu, near the top-right.

I played around with all of the options in there but still have the same problem. Either I'm missing an option to get my desired results or something in v10 made it so this is no longer possible. This is driving me crazy. :frowning:

If you still can´t get the desired results, maybe some folder formats override your settings. You can see, which
ones are currently working on your folder, when you hover the mouse over the small lock icon at the bottom right
(the folder format lock).

Also check out Leo´s folder formats FAQ, which helps clarifying various aspects of folder formats usage:
[url]Folder Formats: Quick Guide]

Lots of good info there, but I've tried everything in there and I still get ellipses on new or copied files of a length > ... ~33 (with extension).
This has to be a "bug" introduced in V10, or some other option I'm missing. It never happened before installing v10.

Heh, I have the same issue. The only way I have found to display the full name of a truncated file name is to "edit" the file name so that it is highlighted. I am going to try to fix it too. If I find a solution, I will post it.

K, I have a solution with 10.0.1. etc. the trick is to get the FOLDER to be SAVED with the new column width. Here is how to do it:

1. Open the folder you want to have extra column width for.
  2. CHANGE the view from LIST to DETAILS in the DISPLAY TAB on the top right.
  3. On the NAME bar, drag the name column to the width you want to have.
  4. Change the view back to LIST.
  5. Next to the VIEW MODE on the top right is the FOLDER OPTION box. Open the FOLDER OPTIONS.
  6. Make sure the DISPLAY TAB does not have AUTO SIZE COLUMNS checked.
  7. Simply click on SAVE at the top and pick FOR THIS FOLDER AND ALL SUB FOLDERS or even better FOR ALL FOLDERS.
    That should do it. Now when you open up that folder, all the names should still be in the same width as you left it.

Simple but obscure. The entire story of Directory Opus!

You should be able to do the same thing by staying in List mode and simply opening Folder Options, ensuring auto-size columns is off (2nd tab), and defining the column width (1st tab).

[quote="johnpombrio"]K, I have a solution with 10.0.1. etc. the trick is to get the FOLDER to be SAVED with the new column width. Here is how to do it:

1. Open the folder you want to have extra column width for.
  2. CHANGE the view from LIST to DETAILS in the DISPLAY TAB on the top right.
    [/quote]
    Dang, I meant VIEW MODE in step 2instead of DISPLAY TAB. Any way to edit these posts? Heh.

Well, I tried changing the filename width to a LARGER number and it did not do anything. If I set the width to a SMALLER number, it worked fine when I clicked on OK. The only way I could get the column width expanded was to do what I had done in my post, change to DETAILS and back to LIST. I tried saving, resetting, whatever, but could not get the width to increase (yes, auto sized was unchecked all this time). Leo, if you please walk us through your solution, that would be great. Otherwise, I would advise folks to stick to my solution.

John

In List mode it appears that when you increase the column size beyond the maximum required to display the longest item, Opus limits the width to whatever is needed to display the longest name. I suspect, but have not confirmed, that this is an "applied" limit and that if you subsequently added a file with a longer name, Opus would accommodate up to whatever limit you set in your folder format.

Regards, AB

[quote="aussieboykie"]John

In List mode it appears that when you increase the column size beyond the maximum required to display the longest item, Opus limits the width to whatever is needed to display the longest name. I suspect, but have not confirmed, that this is an "applied" limit and that if you subsequently added a file with a longer name, Opus would accommodate up to whatever limit you set in your folder format.

Regards, AB[/quote]

Indeed I have found that to be the case. I set an arbitrary longish name column but when listing shorter names in a another folder, DO makes the columns just wide enough for the longest name. That really is the best of both worlds. I can see the full name on most folders and files now under LIST mode (I hate DETAILS mode for some reason-wasted info and excess scrolling I guess). Yet I still get the most compact listing of common file names in the lister window. Very nice!

BTW, the way I did this was to go to the root folder, change the view to DETAILS and set the column size to 450-500 or so then back to LIST mode and save the folder options for all folders. That sets up this very nice variable column width that we are talking about...

Hey Leo, I think I have found what you are talking about but only under DETAILS view. When I change the Filename width in DETAIL view, the column width does indeed change size both larger and smaller (as does dragging the name column with at the top). That is NOT the case for LIST view though. I guess everyone likes DETAILS view more than I do!

Hi folks.

I've tried every suggestion mentioned here, and even the ones that state they work do not for me. I've even tried this on two different computers. I've exchanged emails with a Janathon Potter and he was unable to offer a working solution and even mentioned the column width behavior in List mode isn't working as intended.

I suggested a "Auto-size" option for List mode that would allow List mode to auto adjust its column width when a file is created/copied/renamed/??? to a length longer than the current longest file/folder.

johnpombrio, like you, I work in List mode almost always, and in my work I am renaming files 100s of times a day and I need to see the full filename as soon as it's renamed. Having to press F5 to refresh is very clumsy during my operations.