One Drive and Opus Downloading

The Vista thing seems normal in Task Scheduler, but I don't know about the rest.

There is no doubt a problem with Opus refreshing OneDrive icons on my system. It works flawlessly in Explorer, but in Opus the icons do not update properly.

My system:

Windows 1809 (OS Build 17763.348)

**OneDrive: (version that comes with an Office 365 subscription - I believe at one stage this may have been called One Drive Business) **
Version: 2019 (Build: 19.012.0121.0011)

This version of OneDrive that was released at the beginning of march has one very useful feature that previous version did not appear to possess.

If you use the command to "Clear Space"on a file, you are prevented from re-issuing the command - it is greyed out. This has had the effect of stopping the apparently random downloads by Opus of my PDF files which is the source of my original post, and giving me an idea of what might well by happening.

This is the sequence of events when I add a PDF file to OneDrive:

1. When the file arrives in the one drive directory a green rotating icon appears as the file is copied.

2. This changes to a green tick icon indicating that the file is on OneDrive but also resides on my computer.

3. I issue the command to Clear Space on the new PDF. The green rotating icon appears to be followed once again by the green tick. Opus - at least icon wise thinks the file is still on my disk. This is definitely not true. If I issue something like at open command the file is immediately downloaded from OneDrive and back onto the hard disk of my computer, which is exactly what I would expect to happened.

4. Issue the Clear Space command on the downloaded PDF. The green rotating icon appears to be followed once again by the green tick. Opus - at least icon wise - thinks the file is still on my disk.

5. Close down the Opus session using Exit from the main menu.

6. Wait 20 seconds. Double click the desktop to open a new Opus session. Navigate to the OneDrive PDF folder. The tick icon has changed to a Cloud icon.

This method works every time. The icons are only refreshed when you quit and restart Opus. BTW all my OneDrive PDF folders are accessed through tabs.

Try the Availability column, maybe it will be more reliable for you.

Sorry Jon, absolutely no difference. I still need to end the session of Opus and restart a new session to update to the Cloud icon.

Very frustrating, but at least the constant downloading by Opus seems to have stopped.

Ignore the icon, what does the Availability column do?

I copy a new PDF into my OneDrive folder

The new PDF has an Availability column that says the file is Available on this device

I issue the Clear Space command on the newly arrived file. The availability column entry for the file flickers a few times, but remains as Available on this device

I close Opus and open a new session.

The availability column entry for the file reads Available online

In other words it mirrors exactly what I see when I few my PDFs on OneDrive in my preferred mode of Thumbnails

What about the attributes column? When the file is in the cloud the O attribute should be set.

I copy a new PDF into my OneDrive folder

The new PDF does not have the o Attr set

I issue the Clear Space command on the newly arrived file. The attr column entry for the file flickers a few times, but remains unset

I close Opus and open a new session

The o Attr is set**

Exactly the same behaviour as the Availability column

Give the new beta a try and see if it helps.

Many thanks, Jon. Your fix seems to work perfectly. I will keep my eye on in over the next few days and report is I have any problems.

2 Likes