Sluggish response and long load times

I have begun to notice that the program seems to be really sluggish and load times can be long for new lister windows.
Anyone else encountered this with the newer releases?
Anything I can check or look at that might be causing the issue?
Regards
Ed

Is it only on particular folders, or types of folders? (e.g. network drives or USB drives, or HDDs which have spun down and gone to sleep.)

Or in folders with particular filetypes? (e.g. video files, exe files or archives can all see slowdowns due to external comopnents like video codecs and antivirus scanners in some situations.)

Was anything installed or updated around the time the slowdown started? It coule be due to a shell extenstion something has installed, for example.

Or were any settings changed around the same time, e.g. to fiter items or install new scripts, turn on new file display columns, or anything else you can think of?

Is the PC running low on memory?

Is anything in your configurating (e.g. toolbar buttons) pointing at a network drive that is unreachable? Or is a drive letter mapprd to such a drive?

I noticed this as well.
However I also recently added the ratings column in folder options to all my folders and just assumed that was the cause for the sluggish response.

Best thing to do is try removing it and see if it proves your theory. If not, my questions above have several other ideas to try.

Yep! I can be fast one minute doing the same function that it will take 10 minutes to do a second later. I can't quite explain what's wrong or why but it's definitely there one time and not the next. A delete can take forever, a load, a flat folder load, just opening a folder with 1 or 2 files or folders can take minutes or no time at all. Maybe some code got deprioritize within DO? Like it processes in a FIFO order instead of the most important first?

When it gets into one of these modes I often just try to close the program but even that can take a while through the Task Manager. I don't recall if I've ever tried the program close as opposed to the Task Manager and seen any difference.

My system is limited to networked or local I don't have any other types and some cloud synchs but I don't think that would affect DO as I'm not actively trying to access those folders through DO.

I haven't noticed anything in particular related to content.

It could be related to a shell extension but nothing new has been added although there have been updates to MS 10 itself which I had to back off in early September but this slowdown has been since I upgraded to 12.whatever. I was a late adopter of version 12 so there may be some answer in that. The other shell component that's been updated fairly regularly is File Menu Tools which allows you to change what appears in a context menu. Potplayer has been updated a couple of times but I don't recall anything special post-upgrade.

I haven't made any changes to configurations that I can recall.

Plenty of memory available.

No drives that should be inaccessible in fact the other day my server went offline and I didn't even notice until I went to fetch a file.

If it takes that long, the best thing to do is make some manually-generated process dumps while it's happening, then send them to us. We can usually use those to see which part of the code is being executed that is taking so long, and whether it's something in Opus or another component.

Here's how to make them (skip over the "Automatic crash dumps" section right at the top):

The current build of windows 10 has a performance spike bug so it could very well be that. It fits the description perfectly.

If you can, you might want to think of any recent changes to your system to track down the issue. Did you update windows, change your DOPUS configuration / toolbars, ect.

I don't recall making any changes to DO that I haven't had in prior versions. As for Windows 10 like I said, I had to remove the big update that came this September because it totally destroyed my computer. At some point that will get applied again. I think at the end of October actually but that update was removed and it was a problem before that.

This happens with some fair regularity so I might be able to get those dumps soon.

These files are automatically sent to Google Drive when I try to email them because of their size. A single file is 1.5gb using 7z. They will take hours to send.

I got back to my send and it looks like it terminated but let me know if you got it or not? I sent it to your crashdumps@gpsoft.com.au. It should include a link to GoogleDrive.

I haven't seen anything come in so far.

If the GoogleDrive link still works at your end, please re-send the link via email or a private message here.

Got one DMP so far. Saw your message about a second on the way. There's a lot going on at once at the time the DMP was made, most of it probably not related to the issue*, so I'll wait until I've seen the second one, as that should narrow it down.

(*Looks like a lister was being closed, while another thread was getting information about video files, while one command was moving or renaming files and two other commands were applying labels to files. Makes it hard to know which, if any, of those things to focus on.)

Based on the 2nd dump and "I had clicked on a file that resided on a network share to install it" comment in the email, I think the problem is your antivirus.

Windows Defender is quite bad these days at slowing processes down, especially if you go anywhere near large installer executables. It doesn't cache results of previous scans and blocks the entire program from continuing while it scans the file each time it is opened.

Try disabling Windows Defender and see if that helps.

You can also do some things to make Opus less likely to trigger it:

• Under Preferences / Folder Tree / Contents, turn off Zip files and other archives.

• (Alternatively to the above: Make sure Preferences / Zip & Other Archives / Zip Files: Hide from tree includes .exe so those are not shown in the tree, at least.)

• Turn on Preferences / Folders / Folder Display / Show generic icons for for the type(s) of drives your installers are on. (Unfortunately, just reading the icon for a .exe file triggers antivirus to scan the entire thing as if you were going to execute it. This is a bug in Windows IMO; it opens the file the wrong way when reading icons, but it's outside of our control.)

The original and new dump also have something in common which is a thread that is getting information about video files in one of the visible folders. That could be involved, but it seems less likely. It shouldn't normally block anything, and the new dump definitely looks like the problem is with antivirus scanning an exe file.

Another thing to check is that the process priority (right-click dopus.exe in Task Manager's Details tab) is set to Normal. We recently found something that means it can be set to Below Normal in some situations (e.g. after installing an update, before rebooting). That could be slowing things down a little if the machine is under load. It's probably not causing the whole problem, but it's worth checking. (It'll be fixed in the next update, too.)

Nope, never saw this. Maybe the notification went into spam although I've never had that happen before. I'll try one at a time. If I still have no success I think the other dmp is uploaded I'll post the link in a few days. Any recommendation for an alternative to Defender? I got to say I've not had any problem with viruses but even before Defender I didn't either.

By default, email notifications aren't sent if they happen while you're "on" the forum. (I'm not sure exactly how it decides.) So it may have been that.

You can change that via your account Preferences if you want them to be sent all the time and don't mind deleting the extra emails.

But you can also use the menu at the top right (looks the same as the circular image/logo/letter next to your name on your posts). That will have a blue dot if there are any pending notifications, like replies, and if you click on it you get a list of notifications, including ones that didn't get emailed.

Note also that Jon tried to point you to the reply above several times, including with a big screenshot of it circled in red in this other thread when you mentioned not getting a reply: Folder tree does not sync with folder/file pane :slight_smile:

NOD32 works well for me. No antivirus is entirely free of delays, but it seems to work in a sensible way without causing any major problems.

I just saw the circled view of the reply as well. I hadn't seen any of this until yesterday. And the circle up in the right I just figured out about a week ago. I didn't know that notifications wouldn't be sent if I was on the site. Just like I said in that original post where you asked what the last message I got was. What I put in that response was all I had seen.

When I looked at turning off Defender last night my gosh it's got all kinds of hooks that never used to exist. It used to be one click to turn it off and now it appears that you turn it off by function or else I didn't find the real place to deactivate it.

Let me ask this about DO. If I start a video by clicking on a file in DO there's no connection to DO post that double-click correct? And yet even opening an image seems to, how do I put this, cause problems with DO but not at the point of opening them but when you are doing something to the file in another program. Yesterday I opened a image starting in DO double-clicked and all was fine. It opened in Irfanview but when I went to click inside Irfanview to go to the next image it seemed to lock up DO. Videos have similar problems but more related to changing position in the file but DO seems to get affected by this yet if I do the same in Windows Explorer I have not had the same experience. Now I've only done this test a few times and certainly don't want to suggest that this never happens using Windows Explorer. I'm going to continue to see if there's some difference for the next few days. But I was just curious about your thoughts regarding this indirect lock-up of DO.

If DDE is being used to launch the files then it can affect the program that did the launch, but it's fairly rare these days. You mentioned extreme memory usage before which seems more likely the cause then DDE, since that can cause things to run very slowly.

I'm trying to figure why when I launch from DO it seems to cause problems in the opening program but when I launch through Windows Explorer I can't even get it to fail at least so far. Where DO I can almost cause a fault every time.

Then when I terminate the launched program (PotPlayer, Irfanview) which is already hung it causes DO to hang or maybe it's already hung and I don't even know it. Then like I said I can't seem to start any new programs without significant lag and DO never seems to recover 100%.

This is what's been happening I just didn't put it together because the launched program is easy to terminate so I was thinking it was something in DO feeding through to that launched program that was causing the launched program to fail (which I guess your saying appears to be Defender and it might be that Defender interacts with the 2 file managers differently) and then my terminating the launched causes some failure back to DO. And the ultimate insult is I can't terminate DO at all it's beyond Task Manager and even using command line programs from from NirSoft, SysInternals, etc. In my head DO shouldn't care or even understand that I launched a program by double-clicking a filename other than to pass along the address of that file but it shouldn't be like a call to open the executing program that's waiting for a response that should be by done by default using Windows and it's extension associations with programs and shouldn't be disrupted by it's execution or failure.

Just food for thought.

PS the magnifying glass on the dark theme does work just wasn't what I was expecting because I couldn't see the search box. I thought I was supposed to click the icon to get the search box to open.

If you can't terminate the process then it's stuck in a kernel-level call.

Windows itself, a device driver, or antivirus are the main things which tend to run at that level, as well as the physical hardware which they talk to. One of those things is probably going wrong.

Have you tried turning off or changing antivirus yet?

Checking the Windows event logs for errors and warnings around the time of the problem may also reveal something if the OS is having problems.

I thought I would get to it today but probably not. It's already 9:30pm and I got a good bit of email to catch up on.

BTW that setting in the profile isn't that you have to be logged on but seen in the last 20 minutes so it could easily fall into that 20 minutes period post logoff. That's kind of a strange setting but I changed it to always send.