Surface Book: scrolling doesn't work correctly

yeah ,its true, i have the exactly same problem like you , xiaomi laptop pro with precision touchpad

I am having the same problem on HP laptop, I think I have Synaptics touch pad. So there's no solution? I have disabled smooth scrolling but it doesn't help. I am forced to scroll with pg down or arrow keys.

bump

Are you also seeing the same problems people above saw in the basic File Open dialogs? If so, the answer is the same as then.

Please also link your account.

I am on a Surface Pro 6 with type cover, which uses a Windows Precision touchpad. I am also experiencing similar issues, but it is only really pronounced in Directory Opus.

In standard Windows File Open dialogs, it's no-where near as pronounced — It's certainly not as smooth as scrolling in Chrome or something like that, but it's not like in Directory Opus where as already described it'll be unresponsive to scroll gestures until you do a larger scroll gesture. And then when you do, it'll 'jerk' and scroll too much.

I have always had this behavior, even on my previous Surface Pro 4, and I just chalked it up to being a quirk between Directory Opus and the Windows Precision trackpad stuff. But since someone else has brought it up, I thought I'd weigh in on my experience too.

1 Like

That's a very good description of the problem and it's the same for me on a very different machine. Title of the thread should now be just "scrolling doesn't work correctly".

It's almost a deal breaker for me because without usable scrolling it breaks the UX and workflow. It seems strange because in all software I have used I don't recall ever having this issue.

PS: I am on the trial

What machine is that?

Scrolling works fine with a normal mousewheel.

HP 850 G5, Win 10 x64.

So another notebook, also with the "precision touchpad" stuff I guess?

That's presumably what the common link is, not the fact that it's a Surface or an HP or whatever.

You are correct, my touchpad is using the MS "precision touchpad" drivers. It seems that since Windows 8.1, MS is offering the precision drivers to all manufacturers, and then it's the manufacturer choice if they want to ship the laptop with a custom driver or use the precision one. So it's very likely to stay rather than go away. I think it's also possible to use the Elan or synaptics drivers, but then you might lose some/all gestures.

Is there any update on this? I have the same problem - I have a surface book 2 with the precision touchpad too. It makes the program really frustrating to use without a mouse.

I agree that Microsoft should fix the problem but we all know that's highly unlikely. So I think that's the wrong mindset - the developers should want to give us the users the best possible experience with the program. If that means working around a buggy API it's not ideal but it still should be done.

Just my thoughts!

If someone sends me a Surface laptop I'd be happy to look into it. :slight_smile:

Given the problem manifests in parts of the OS itself and isn't specific to Opus, I don't understand why people aren't demanding MS fix the problem rather than that individual applications work around it. It's the kind of thing that should affect hardware review scores.

Yes fair point. The thing is I’ve never come across the problem except in Opus. Overall I find my Surface Book to be excellent so it’s hard to fault the hardware. The other thing is I would have no idea how to get in touch to report it to Microsoft - where would I do that? The feedback hub? I have no idea if anyone from Microsoft would respond to it.

And how would I explain the problem - I have a problem scrolling in one program? They would just tell me the problem is with the program and I should contact the developers of the program.

Some problems with other software were mentioned above by other people, although I don't know if they still happen as I can't test how anything works without the hardware to do it.

As for contacting Microsoft, I don't know where the best place is for this type of thing, but if you've given them hundreds of dollars for something I would hope they have an easy way to contact them if there's an issue with it. :slight_smile:

I would describe it as their touchpad drivers not sending standard mousewheel messages to programs that haven't opted in to their special mode that only the Surface touchpads use.

I still fail to understand why this problem is 99% only in Opus, do Firefox or Chrome have a very complex scrolling algorithm? Other file managers which compete with Opus don't have this problem, comparing apples to apples. Even software that are slightly affected by the problem, it's not nearly as bad as in Opus.

And for the record, there's no such thing as a "Precision" trackpad. Trackpads are made just by a few companies, Precision is just a software implementation written by Microsoft, probably in collaboration with trackpad manufacturers.

In the latest beta (12.16.1) we've added preliminary support for high-res scrolling. Please give it a try and let us know how you get on.

Hi Jon,

I have a surface book 2, and I've given up on using the trackpad, but this is a step in the right direction.

(The driver appears to be 'Intel Precise Touch Device v1.2.0.100)

What are you testing on? The 12.16.1 beta on my surface book does scroll with the trackpad but it initially lags, then jumps.

The jumps are disproportionate to the distance 'swiped' on the trackpad. I suspect its because you get many scroll events. You may need to accumulate scroll events and only act on them after 100ms of idle time for example.. (not that I have done any windows programming for a couple of decades..)

Cheers

1 Like

I was able to work out how to force my laptop to accept the precision drivers (although it took some persuading). Once I'd done that however scrolling behaved as described in this thread, with the 12.16.1 changes it seems quite smooth to me so your results are disappointing.

I think waiting 100ms before scrolling each time would be very noticeable.

Can you be more specific about what you're seeing? I find "lag" is a very imprecise term :slight_smile:

I’ll try, maybe even catch a video but I wanted to stop by and mention I was browsing photos and switched from my usual detail mode to thumbnails and it was instantly smooth as silk.

Just some feedback - I upgraded to DO 12.17 and the scrolling is heaps better on my Surface Book 2. In general it works great, except that it sometimes can’t keep up redrawing the window contents if I scroll faster. But as soon as I let go it catches up. It’s not a huge issue though, a big improvement over the old scrolling behaviour.

Thanks!

1 Like