Tabs turned to Empty Tab

Hey, so, I just opened up Directory Opus some time ago (maybe a few weeks ago now...) and all tabs except the first one had turned into "Empty Tab".
I also think the "Folder Tree" on the left has changed, but can't remember exactly.
I use DOpus very occasionally, like a few times a month... Have barely changed any settings... No clue what could have happened.
Is there any way to fix this? Any automatic backups or something?

Directory Opus Light 12.17 Build 7198 x64
OS 10.0 (B:18363 P:2 T:1) SP 0.0

I'm not sure what would cause that, unless something corrupted the config files in some way.

(Manual editing might do that, but you'd know if you'd done that. We've also seen antivirus / "privacy" software block or modify XML config files in the past, due to mistakenly thinking they are a thread or that the program is reading private data due to something in the files. If the process was killed or power was lost while the config was being updated, that could also cause strange problems, but I'm not sure that could result in multiple empty tabs, so that probably isn't what happened here.)

There aren't any automated config backups, unless you have automated backups of your system (or profile folder, at least). Your config looks fairly standard, so if you just want to revert back to the defaults and not worry about any other unexpected changes, the easiest way to do that to the whole config is to uninstall and then reinstall Opus. (You can also reset individual pages in Preferences, if you prefer.)

12.17 is 10 months old, so I'd also recommend installing the latest version to get all the latest fixes.

I guess I'll start over on a current version then. Thanks anyway.

How do I make sure this doesn't happen again? I saw the backup wizard but that seems to be a one time thing. Where is the config files if I want to back them up? Just the whole appdata folder?

Do you know specifically which file would have the tabs info in it? I could have a check if it seems broken before I reset it all

See How to backup or locate your Opus configuration (Simple)

Most likely /dopusdata\Layouts\System\default.oll, but it would probably have been re-written if you've closed a window since the problem happened, so it'll most likely look normal now (even if some of the tabs are empty).

(I can depend on how things are configured, but with Opus Light it should usually be that file, I think.)

1 Like