Dopus freezes when deleting multiple files in search result panel

When using "find files" function in folders and try to delete the resulting files from the "find results" panel, dopus minimizes & freezes. However it's still possible to quit from the tray icon ("exit Directory Opus") and restart the program, i.e. there is no need for "end task" from Task manager.

Are you still using Active Window Manager? I would try removing it first, with any weird issue like that involving operations that can trigger progress dialogs.

Yes, I'm still using AWM and it's unlikely to stop using it. It's an extremely useful and productive peace of software and all my installed programs benefit from it. It worked perfectly with Directory Opus 12. Never had a problem of any kind and that's the real question: what is the difference between the two versions in that department? Perhaps you should try to resolve the issue since those two useful programs have proved that they can work side by side. I don't like being forced to choose "us or them". However I've created an exception and all process indicators are working. The url problem as well as this one can be easily reproduced and they don't seem to be related to AWM.

AWM did not work perfectly with Opus 12. There are threads about it causing the same problems it causes now, going back to 2009. Also many threads on the internet about it, and it even has to exclude itself from handling another tool by the same developers who make it.

Quoting from Conflicts with tools that move, on-top or modify other windows

• Actual Window Manager
    • Can prevent progress dialogs appearing (Thread 1, Thread 2, Thread 3, Thread 4).
    • Can cause Opus to steal focus after opening files (Thread).
    • Can cause context menus to move just after appearing (Thread).
    • Window gadgets it adds draw on top of Opus's own UI elements.

In any case, it should be tested to see if it's behind the problem, as it's a waste of time to investigate anything else until that is done, when it is known to cause problems.

1 Like

You mean that you can't reproduce those two issues? It' easy: Just point to a *.url (when the viewer is open) and try to delete it. It cannot be deleted and you get a message that it's in use (obviously by the viewer). Then try to close the viewer in order to delete the *.url file. Dopus hangs. Pick two or more folders and find, for example, *.png files. Convert them (from the find panel) to *.jpg and then try to delete (always from the find panel) the initial *.png files. Dopus hangs.

I can't reproduce the first issue here.

I'm not sure what "from the find panel" means for the second issue so I haven't tried that, but given that the first one doesn't behave as described, and that you also mentioned above that Opus "minimizes" as well as hangs, it really does seem like something on your system is doing something weird.

I just tried and I can't reproduce either, I delete the file even if it is open in the viewer.

For the second, I think you mean the Find Results collection? If it is that, I can delete the initial pngs with no issues.

I have a problem that seems to be almost the same as what is in the very first comment.
If I open Find and run a filter and then delete files from results (not just "remove from collection"), Opus freezes. I need to close Opus via the Task Manager.
This happened about 15 times during my work day yesterday.
I do not use Active Window Manager.
I am about do a test and then send crash dump .DMP files.

Because of this problem (and the other I've mentioned elsewhere) and because I'm not ready to go back to version 12.33 where everything was working OK, I was forced to find and use external searchers that integrate into dopus and now I maintain a certain level of functionality. I hope that the problem will be identified by other users and will be solved the same way as the AWM problem has been solved

I couldn't reproduce either of your scenarios and in years of handling bookmarks and images, I have never encountered anything remotely related. If you want to get to the bottom of this, you'll probably need to keep using Opus' find routines and send crash reports, as annoying as it may be.

1 Like

Sending a .dmp file is definitely a good next step.

Thanks for sending the DMPs. It looks like the main window is not being re-enabled after the deletion completes for some reason, although this is largely guesswork so far.

Few questions that might help us reproduce what you're seeing:

• Are you deleting to the recycle bin, or outright?

• How is the delete triggered? (Toolbar button, hotkey, right-click context menu on the files, etc.)

• Does it matter how many files are involved?

• Has it only ever happened with collections, never normal folders (with similar amounts of files etc.)?

• Does Preferences / File Operations / Progress Indicators / Delay before indicators appear being on/off, or the timeout value used with it, play a part?

1 Like

I just installed Version 13.3.1 Beta, and now I cannot re-create the problem despite numerous attempts.
I see a progress indicator unless what is deleted is so small that there is no time for a progress indicator to be displayed.

Answers:
I don't think I saw any progress indicators when the problem was occurring.
I was deleting outright using Shift+Delete.
It did not seem to matter how many files were deleted.
This has only happened with collections.
I have never adjusted the Preferences / File Operations / Progress Indicators / Delay before indicators appear. It is currently off.

1 Like

{As of dopus v. 13.3.3 everything I reported is solved, i.e. hanging when pointing at urls with viewer on & freezing and closing when deleting from find files panel. And don't tell me that this happened by luck. You certainly identified and solved the problem. Anyway now everything is back in order, although I'm experiencing some strange delays in opening external (USB) HDDs of high capacity (i.e. 4 & 5 tb)}
PS I was wrong!!! Strike off all the above. It happened again. The problem is not fixed.

We were never even able to reproduce it.

Maybe we fixed it by accident, when changing/fixing something else.

The default is on and 800 ms. Using that may help, although it would be interesting to know if it makes a difference if you start seeing the problem again.

One of my problems - the problem of dopus freezing when a url opens in the viewer (by the way the viewer was blank and continuously loading) - is solved. In the plugins section of the viewer and specifically in the "meta plugin (Preview/Office/Web/ActiveX)" -> "Web Browser" I switched from "Egde (Chromium)" to "Internet Explorer 32-bit" and now the viewer shows the url without freezing the program.

Are you sure you want that? I find the modern html engine quite useful, going back to the IE 11 ActiveX renderer can create other difficulties, not necessarily with DO freezing, but with viewing actual HTML files e.g.. o)

I just post here so I don't lose track of the issue reported, since I am (was?) affected as well. Deleting from a find result also made DO hang with a "bling"-sound lister window, it would not respond to anything anymore (well, some keyboard inputs make it through somehow it seems).