Five Reasons for Real Tab Scrolling with the Mouse Scroll Wheel & a Three-Button Button Workaround

Five Reasons to Add Real Tab Scrolling Using the Mouse Scroll Wheel and a Three-Button Button Workaround

1. A keyboard option for tab scrolling is available with the commands Go TABSELECT -1 and Go TABSELECT +1. It is not conditional on the number of tabs on the tab bar. A mouse option should also be available. This should be available on both horizontal and vertical tab bars.

2. Interest in a mouse option has often been requested and over a long time period beginning in 2007.
    Scroll wheel through tabs like firefox
    Give focus to a tab on mouse hover?
    Suggestion: scroll tabs panel with mouse wheel (like in Firefox browser)
    Allow changing tabs by scrolling in the tab header
    Horizontal scroll?
    Wish tabs could be scrolled with mouse wheel
    Scroll tab bar
    How to switch tabs by rotating the scroll wheel on the tab bar - #5 by Leo
    Suggestions - Tab scrolling with mouse wheel
    Can't scroll the tab bar with mouse wheel

3. The current option to use the scroll wheel on the tab bar only works if all tabs can not be seen at one time. This is less than the request for tab scrolling.

4. The current option to use the scroll wheel on the tab bar does not scroll the tabs. It does not actually scroll from tab to tab to tab as does the keyboard option. The current mouse option only moves the tab to the left or right enough to see either end of the tab bar.

5. The current mouse option only moves the tab to the left or right enough to see either end of the tab bar. In fact. using the current mouse option, all active tabs can move out of sight so that no tab can be seen to be active. It is counterintuitive that scrolling tabs hides tabs.

6. Additional feature suggestions:
    a. Scrolling with the mouse wheel past the last tab in a file display cycles back to the first tab in that file display.
    b. Shift+Scrolling the mouse wheel scrolls through all tabs in both file displays in a dual lister configuration. Scrolling past the last tab in the file display of the right lister cycles back to the first tab in the file display of the left lister.

7. As an interim workaround, a three-button button is attached that scrolls tabs in either direction or brings up the tab switcher to see all tabs at a glance. Drop it on to a toolbar while in Customize mode and test it out.

Tab Selection Options.dcf (987 Bytes)

3 Likes

Thank you for keeping the torch lit for this feature/set of features!
But say... What is "The current option to use the scroll wheel on the tab bar"?
I may have settings from too long ago so my scroll behavior does not match your description. Is there a setting now? It doesn't seem super recent; the last couple of updates don't mention it.
Or are you using a newer beta?

I'm using DO13.52. I think the current option has been around awhile in DO13, at least.

To see it in action:

1. Deselect "Reduce tab sizes...""

1. Select "Use popup menu..." Select ""Show all tabs..." Select "Show menu when"

2. Using a horizontal task bar, add lots of tabs so not all can be seen at one time and you the menu on the right of the tab bar, the "arrow" symbols.

1. Use the scroll wheel on your mouse to "scroll" the tabs. All it does is move the entire tab bar left or right. As you can see in the screenshot above. it moves you past all active tabs making them no longer visible.

2. Use the button I including in the original post to get workaround mouse options. It could be helpful if often have lots of tabs open.

Thank you.
I'm using v12. I didn't see that this was posted in the v13 section, I got alerted to this post via email due to the mention ^^
My overflow menu does not respond to the scroll wheel, nor does it give scrolling behavior to the tab bar.
I shall be keeping an eye on v13 and consider an upgrade at some point

I ought to have checked when the mouse scroll wheel feature was added.

It was in DO13. See: Folder Tabs [Directory Opus Manual]

1 Like