Music Tags

About:
A Script AddIn for DOpus which adds a new command, MusicTags, that will allow you to view and edit music metadata in a dialog based on mp3tag.

Caution: There is no undo function. By default, a log file is created, detailing all changes, which can be viewed with Music Tags built in viewer or with any text editor.

Double Caution: I have only tested with my collection of .mp3 files which is not exhaustive. The Script is using DOpus's built in metadata editing tools so it will be as compatible with your files as DOpus is. Some filetypes have slightly different metadata and the script does not yet take this into account. With these files, you may see error dialogs from DOpus when attempting to write certain metadata. Because of this I recommend experimenting on copies of your files first.

History:

• 1.0 (25/5/20)
    • Initial Release.

Installation:

• Download: MusicTags 1.0.js.txt (41.7 KB)
  • Drag the .js.txt file to Preferences / Toolbars / Scripts.

Usage:

• Download: Music Tags.dcf (691 Bytes)
  • Select "Settings / Customize Toolbar..." from your Lister and then drag the button file to any toolbar you like.

Select as many files as you like and click the Music Tags button. The Script will ignore all non-music files selected. You can then select individual music files in the dialog or multiple files (there are buttons to Select All and to Select None) using drag select, and ctrl or shift click as normal. If an individual file is selected the metadata for it is shown on the left. If multiple files are selected, the script will make comparisons of all files and the metadata on the left will show <keep> for items that differ between files, or the actual metadata if it's the same.

The drop down boxes for each metadata item will populate with all metadata found for that item in the selected files.

The Reload button will reload the file list, useful sometimes as the writing of metadata can take a little time to complete meaning the file list is showing old metadata. Click this to ensure you're seeing the current status of all files.

You can edit any of the items on the left, including leaving them blank, the Save button will prompt you to confirm your changes, then write the metadata for all selected files.

Right clicking any file in the list will bring up a small menu, from here you can open the file using the default Open action, Show it in the DOpus viewer or view the Properties for the file. Identical to the options available in the configuration for double-clicking a file.

Cover art is for display only, it's not editable at this stage. If multiple files are selected, the cover art for them is compared and only displayed if it's the same.

A number of configuration items are available in the Preferences / Toolbars / Scripting page.

• columns_order : This is the display order for the columns in the main dialog. The Filename column is always first though and not configurable. You cannot turn off any columns at this stage.
  • confirm_save : Shows a confirmation dialog before saving changes.
  • dblclk_action : Choose the default action for double clicking files in the list.
  • log_changes : Writes a log file detailing all metadata changes made.
  • log_folder : Destination folder for the log file.
  • show_cover_art : Show cover art for the selected files.

The new command MusicTags has only one possible argument:

ARGUMENT  TYPE  POSSIBLE VALUES  DESCRIPTION
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
LOGREADER  /S     <no value>     Opens the log reader without showing the main
                                 Music Tags dialog.```

The button included above has two functions, left click it to launch Music Tags with your selected music files and right click it to show the Log Reader.

Log File:
The script will create a log file (by default this will be located at: /desktop\MusicTags.log). You can change the location in the configuration, or even turn off logging completely.

There are three ways to view the log file:

1. With any text editor/viewer.

2. From the main Music Tags dialog there's a View Log... button which will open the Log Reader.

3. By creating a DOpus toolbar button (hotkey or menu item) which has the following command:
    MusicTags LOGREADER. This will open the Log Reader without the main Music Tags dialog (and this is not dependant on any files being selected in the Lister).

The log file will look similar to this:

--------------------
25-May-2020 16:08:12
--------------------
"01 - Rock N Roll Train.mp3" [Album] From="White Ice" To="Black Ice"
"02 - Skies On Fire.mp3" [Album] From="White Ice" To="Black Ice"
"03 - Big Jack.mp3" [Album] From="White Ice" To="Black Ice"
"04 - Anything Goes.mp3" [Album] From="White Ice" To="Black Ice"
"05 - War Machine.mp3" [Album] From="White Ice" To="Black Ice"

Log Reader:
The Log Reader provides an easy way to view the log file:

The Log Reader has a filter which allows you to type part of a filename to filter the list of log entries shown. The Reset button will clear the filter and display all log entries. Alternatively you can double click an entry in the list to filter based on that entries filename.
You can launch the Log Reader from within the Music Tags dialog (There's a View Log... button in the dialog). Alternatively you can use the MusicTags command with the LOGREADER argument to just use the log reader alone.

8 Likes

I have tried your script on my FLAC file, but after change any meta data press save then yes it's do nothing. it would great for me if it's work with FLAC file

The script uses the Opus Internal commands to write metadata so it will only write metadata to files that Opus can write to.

Well Steve, I can change Artists Name form Metada pane but can't change with your script. so what should I do to use your script? Should I write a feature request for Opus developer in that case?

Are these the flac files you posted about once before?

Yes FLAC file all am talking about

The ones that werent working in Opus - that you posted about before?

1 Like

I just tried now in DOpus 12.21 version and found I can change Artists Album Artists AlbumName form Metada pane but can't change with your script.

Will have a look at it when I get time. Wont be until the weekend now.

1 Like

Just had a quick play with this, and it works with .flac files here. It's probably the non-standard .flac files you've mentioned before causing problems.

Don’t forget that .flac files are a lot bigger and changes take a little longer to write so they don’t show instantly in Opus.

1 Like

Thank you Steve for your reply. I am sorry I do not understand what does mean by the non-standard .flac? I rip my won CDs in FLAC what am talking about. and It's not working here. one more thing
All My Flac files metadata in my native language Bangla (Unicode) Is that the cause for not working the script here?

I'd be surprised if dbPowerAmp was doing anything wrong, unless it has been configured to do something unusual, like write ID3 tags into FLAC files, or output OggFLAC instead of normal FLAC, or something like that.

@khalidhosain: Maybe create a small (e.g. silent) sample FLAC file that other people can use to try and reproduce the problem, since other people's FLAC files seem to be working OK.

Not suggesting ‘wrong’ but it certainly adds its own custom tags which caused problems for khalid before.

Dear Lo & Steve. Now I test once more and find out Steve's Script does not support My native Language Bangla. Look at the screenshot. Here is 2nd file size 20kb only

I have tried to write Title, Artists, Album name with Steve's Music Tages 1.0 in Bangla but it's done nothing. Then I had tried to write Title, Artists, Album name with Steve's Music Tages 1.0 in English and It's work nicely. So File size is not the problem. the problem is Bangla Language
We Write Bangla by using UNICODE. Music Tages 1.0 Can Read out the bangla Metada (look in my Screen shoot) but can not save the Bangla meta data.Now Dear Steve Please try to solve the problem if it is possible. Thank you

I would not know how to type those characters to try. Please paste some to the forum so people can copy and paste. A small example FLAC would probably still be helpful as well, since you could include the tags in that.

1 Like

Ok Here we go.
Download the small Sample flac file from here:
Sound 3.zip (99.3 KB)
Here is a screenshot what I want to save:

Plz copy the text from here
Title:

চুপি চুপি বলো কেউ জেনে যাবে

Artist:

পলাশ

Album:

আইজ পাশা খেলবো রে শ্যাম

Gener

ফোক রিমিক্স

Cover Art Also an issue. Steve's Music Tages 1.0 does not show the Cover art but the file has the cover art. Here is a screenshot of my mouse hover info
2020-07-17_22-18-26

I haven't tried with the script*, but I did a quick try using the built-in metadata editor and it seems to work OK with that file and those strings, so it should be possible for it to work with the script as well.

JScript and VBScript use Unicode by default, so that should not be a problem, as far as I'm aware.

(*I had a quick try with the script but I get an error, which I think may be due to some unfinished changes in my version of Opus, so it's not a proper test.)

The crash occurs here during the log writing sections of the script when using the Bangla language. Haven't looked closely at that yet (but I'm guessing it's because of the way fso.OpenTextFile works, it is set to use Unicode though var logFile = fso.OpenTextFile(logPath + "\\MusicTags.log", 8, true);), turning off logging works fine though (both reading and writing Bangla to the .flac file):

As for cover art, Opus' metadata pane doesn't show the cover art either:

Hi Dear Steve Please tell me How to turning off logging? I want to use your script brother.